Overview of position
Our client has been requested by the EU to provide support by filling in the identified gaps with flexible tools and mechanisms to implement the NDP/CAS structure by establishing a Partnership Coordination Facility for Somalia. Coordinated efforts are essential in order to transform Somalia into a more resilient economy with greater security, gender equity, improved human development, stronger infrastructure, and better access to basic services that are delivered by accountable governmental institutions. This transformation is hindered by slow institutions that are unable to respond quickly to emerging needs. The project will allow these needs to be identified by the current government coordination mechanisms, and to be satisfied in a timely, strategic manner. One of the specific objectives of the Partnership Facility Project is to support the work on the inclusive politics agenda including democratization through elections, the constitutional architecture and federalization.
The overall purpose of this advisory action is to provide specialist and high level advisory support to the Somaliland National Electoral Commission. The purpose of this action is to support the NEC’s senior leadership team to carry-out its functions with regards to the Electoral Commission’s mandate in organizing Somaliland’s presidential elections, parliamentary elections, local council elections and referendums.
- Support the input and output of the national voter registration database
- Support that the database is functioning in accordance with specifications and requirements
- As and when necessary, ensure that daily and periodic backups of the contents of the database are made and that data is stored securely
- Assist with the preparation and printing of the final voter registration list and voter cards
- Prepare and submit monthly progress reports
- Advice new technology updates and innovations
- Advice the best ways to upgrading, maintain and secure NEC systems and databases
- Maintaining office computers and Internet networks
- Assist in the maintenance of content on the NEC website,
- Work with NEC staff to develop and maintain information on the web
- Assist in the design and implementation of the information architecture of the NEC website, ensuring ease of navigation for visitors
- Perform any other related task as assigned by the NEC IT Department.
The position reports to the Project Manager
• Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision and direction.
• Capable of working with others in a participatory and capacity building manner.
• Ability to establish and maintain excellent contacts with colleagues, government officials, community representatives and contractors.
• Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize work schedules.
• A minimum of 4 years’ relevant work experience.
• Experience with Electoral Commissions a considerable advantage.
• Experience in Somalia and / or other fragile states would be a considerable advantage.
• Experience working on or managing large and complex programmes, in coordination with Government authorities.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including oral, written and skills;
• Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
• Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues;
• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently without supervision;
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply