The Norwegian Refugee Council in Somalia is looking for an Advocacy Manager to provide overall leadership, management and strategic direction to NRC’s policy and advocacy work for Somalia. The role is responsible for identifying factors driving Somalia’s humanitarian crisis for public and private advocacy, produce advocacy materials for policy, research, analysis and guidance for the NRC global network for internal and public purposes, strengthening the incorporation of advocacy into all aspects of NRC’s activities in-country and guiding NRC’s advocacy messaging to promote an improved protection and humanitarian response environment in Somalia.
This is an excellent career opportunity to contribute to NRC’s reputable advocacy work, in one of NRC’s largest country programmes in the Easy Africa & Yemen Region.
Duties and responsibilities
- Identify and coordinate NRC’s advocacy response to prioritize protection issues both within the country and internationally
- Develop and implement country-specific advocacy strategy, aligned to overall country strategy
- Monitor and analyse the humanitarian situation, access and protection concerns, emerging trends and displacement patterns; provide high quality analysis and prepare evidenced-based policy briefing papers, policy position statements, situational updated & analysis and other public-facing advocacy products
- Liaise with other NRC Country, Regional and Global Representation Offices to coordinate the strategic delivery of advocacy messaging and to maximize impact
- Advise on media lines and media strategy, ensuring potential risks associated with NRC’s positions are assessed and sign-off procedures are adhered to
- Produce accurate, high quality, user-friendly advocacy and communications outputs for the media and for internal use, to keep external stakeholders effectively informed and engage
- Represent NRC to key stakeholders, strengthen strategic advocacy networks and identify opportunities to advocate NRC’s position
- Ensure advocacy work are built into annual planning including proposal development and incorporate ways to allocate resources and build capacity
- Deliver capacity building for NRC staff across other departments to help build their understanding of and engagement in advocacy
*A full Job Description can be found on our website*Qualifications**
- Post-graduate degree in relevant and related field
- Minimum 5 years of relevant Manager/Adviser experience within the humanitarian field
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Professional knowledge about protection principles and advocacy, and the use of media for public advocacy
- Highly-developed research and analysis skills
- Strong verbal and written communications and influencing skills
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- High levels of flexibility and creativity
- An initiative-taking with the ability to manage and prioritize an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Solid understanding of international legal and policy processes relating to displacement
- Proven results related to the position’s responsibilities, particularly in analysis, drafting of messages, coordination and networking
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including strong facilitation and training skills
- Demonstrated understanding of humanitarian operations including principles and coordination mechanisms
- Proven ability to lead processes and work effectively with others in challenging environments
- Knowledge of the cultural, political and conflict context in Somalia
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking and analyzing
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
- Managing resources to optimize results
We can offer
- Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
- Travel: to the field, and outside Somalia as required
- Start date: preferably mid-April 2020
- Contract Period: 12 months, with possible extension
- Salary/Benefits: Competitive compensation and benefits package
- An approved health clearance will be required before commencement of the contract.
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and employees to check they have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
How to apply
To find out more and apply, please visit our website: www.nrc.no/careers
Females are highly encouraged to apply.