ISLAMIC RELIEF SOMALIA: JOB DESCRIPTION
Opportunity -Vacancy Advertisement:
JOB TITLE: Agronomist Assistant ( Open to Somali National only)
BASE LOCATION: Garowe
Closing Date 1/3/2020
CONTRACT LENGTH: ) 10 Months with possibility of extension based on Performance and availability of funds
REPORT TO: Livelihood Officer
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: None
SCOPE OF ROLE:
- Assist the Food Security and Livelihood project officer in developing and regularly updating a detailed project work plan guiding the project implementation plan.
§ Identify appropriate agricultural seed and small-scale agricultural tools relevant to the locality and target community in collaboration with farming comparatives and local authorities
§ Be involved in community mobilization, sensitization and plan and implement distribution of agricultural inputs.
§ Responsible in Beneficiary selections process, registration and verifications
§ Identify direct project beneficiaries in collaboration with the local community representatives and stakeholders from the government.
§ Identification of the needs of farmers and the farming practices used and formulation of an available achievable strategy to improve agricultural production within the limited resources to farmers.
§ Collaborating with project team organizing field days and exposure visits to project sites.
§ Preparation of training material and training of project beneficiaries
- Prepare and submit weekly, monthly, quarterly activity plans and reports of the project, and Submit to livelihood officer
§ Update the beneficiary information in electronic system and
- Identify and request appropriate materials for the project as per the project document and ensure proper utilization of the project resources.
- Represent Islamic Relief office in matters related with the project in the meetings for knowledge sharing when delegated.
§ Participate assessments and collect data from the field and analyses to feed planning and project proposals
§ Conduct regular field visits to project site with Project officer and update Area Coordinator with the progress of project activities in the field
§ Participate in Project monitoring and evaluation process throughout the project period
§ Attend food security and livelihood meetings with partners and stakeholders in the field and attend clusters when assigned to attend
§ Establish and maintain relationships with other agencies and organizations in community to meet community needs and to ensure that services are not duplicated.
§ Monitoring food security situation across Puntland using different food security indicators, such as rainfall, market and price, crop and livestock, and humanitarian reports,
§ Supporting the mandated food security sectors coordinating body as deemed necessary, including livelihood baseline data collection and analysis whenever Necessary
§ Demonstrate strong commitment to be accountable to beneficiaries as it is a key Islamic Relief worldwide commitment to beneficiaries. Support the Project officer in regular preparation of comprehensive project progress reports (monthly, Quarter and final reports).
§ Support the Project officer in regular preparation of comprehensive project progress reports (monthly, Quarter and final reports).
- Perform other functions as requested by the immediate supervisor
Budget Responsibilities: non
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
§ Effective Communication.
§ Creativity and Initiative.
§ Leadership and Negotiation.
§ Performance Management.
§ Performance of self and others.
§ Planning and Organizing.
§ Adapting in work Environment and quick learner
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
§ Strictly follow on organizational polices and procedure’s, and respect organizational principles at all times and keep organizational confidentiality
§ Demonstrate capacities to establish and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with government officials, local organizations, communities and other stakeholders.**
· Minimum degree in agricultural science, agronomy, Crop production, soil and water conservation, , and climatology
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Good technical knowledge on farms production on agriculture practice
· 3 years’ experience in agricultural projects implementation with an international NGO
· Excellent spoken and written communication in English and interpersonal skills;
· Proficiency with computers, especially MS Office and diagnostic scientific software.
· Excellent computer skills, GIS applications, mapping skills are added advantage.
· Excellent coordinating with partners and stakeholders; and excellent analytical and report -writing skills; Supervisory, management, and donor coordination experience is an advantage.
Additional job responsibilities
Assisting Inter-cluster multi-sectoral assessments during critical situations
Producing Cate studies and success stories of beneficiaries
Islamic Relief is equal opportunity employer, however encourages female candidates to apply
How to Apply
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications (most updated CV , cover letter, Academic Qualifications and copy of your passports with 3 referees from your previous/or current employer to the email
With subject line as application for the position of – Agronomist Assistant Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.