Job Title Assistant Drama-Writer
Organization BBC Media Action
Reports to Lead Writer
Line Manages None
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We use the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We work in partnership with broadcasters, governments, non-governmental organizations and donors to share reliable, timely and useful information.
We seek to recruit an Assistant Drama Writer for a governance project, designed to contribute to ‘increasing participation and trust in political processes among Somali citizens’. BBC Media Action will use media and communications to enhance engagement in political and civic processes in Somalia through increasing knowledge and understanding about political and civic rights, responsibilities, processes and issues, as well as creating space for constructive dialogue. The role will be based in Somalia and frequent travel to Hargeisa will be required.
To take responsibility for the delivery of the scripts for the radio serial drama part of the project “Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy- BUILD’’ Somalia.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Required
· Significant demonstratable experience of drama writing and journalism in Somalia
· A thematic specialization in political and civic rights in Somalia is desirable.
· An understanding and appreciation of core BBC values of impartiality, independence and accuracy.
· Strong understanding of the role of communication in development.
· Ability to work on own initiative and organize time effectively to multiple deadlines. Capacity to juggle competing priorities and a busy program of work while working to agreed strategy.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
· Excellent knowledge of all Somali dialects.
· Good working knowledge of computer packages including email, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· Commitment to the aims and objectives of BBC Media Action and that of the BUILD project.
The following competencies (behaviors and Characteristics) have been identified as key to the success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
· Editorial Judgement-demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audiences, program and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views as necessary.
· Planning and organization– Can think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritizes and plans activities considering all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines.
· Resilience– can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
· Influencing and persuading– Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people an approach that results in agreement or behavior change.
· Gains the respect of the team by the excellence of their work-leads by example and takes the appropriate amount of responsibility for self and others. Plus, the effectiveness of the team above their own personal interests.
· Communication– Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audiences and the nature of information.
· Flexibility– Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements.
· Creative Thinking– Able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
How to apply:
Interested candidates who meet qualification should submit their CV together with a covering letter which explains why s/he is best suited to the role to the following address: email@example.com with the subject title “Assistant Writer”. The closing date for applications is the 22nd of October 2019.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply