- Host Entity: UNHCR
- Country: Somalia
- Duty Station: Bosasso (SOM)
- Language Skills: English
- Start Date: 01 January 2020
- Duration: 12 months
- Application Deadline: 12 December 2019
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of Protection Officer and/or RSD Supervisor, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
· Conduct RSD interviews and draft RSD Assessments in accordance with applicable standards and guidelines.
· Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all work on individual cases.
· Provide counselling to asylum seekers and refugees.
· Assist in monitoring RSD trends and in compiling and analysing RSD statistics related to RSD case processing to identify and respond to developments or issues impacting on the efficiency or quality of RSD decision-making, and to propose remedial measures.
· Conduct research on country of origin information (COI) and legal issues related to RSD and assist in maintaining a local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards accessible to RSD staff in the operation.
· Supervise the reception and provide support to the recepitionist in providing feedback to individual cases.
· Supervise the protection email ID and letter box and ensure to provide timely responses to PoCs
· Review RSD decisions and provide appropriate feedback and guidance to RSD staff.
· Assist in developing and maintaining processes to ensure that persons of concern, Government authorities and partners have accurate information on the RSD procedures, including UNHCR standards, policies and practice.
· Assist in initiatives to advocate with and support Government authorities and legal partners to establish and strengthen fair and efficient RSD procedures and RSD decision-making.
· Design and carry out training for Government authorities and other partners on legal and procedural issues related to RSD and provide technical advice to strengthen national asylum procedures
· Assist in evaluating and projecting RSD staffing needs using the RSD Staffing Benchmarks.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Law, political science, international relations or another related field.
Required experience: 24 Months
Minimum 2 years of relevant professional job experience, preferably in the area of refugee protection, human rights or international humanitarian law. The incumbent must be a dynamic, multi-functional person, who supports UNHCR with professionalism, dedication and client orientation.
*Computer skills: Basics of ICDL (Microsfot word and windows operating system).*
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Protection of refugees, asylum seekers and IDPs
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and
opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities
as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are
encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex,
national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.