Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter governmental organization in the field of migration & works closely with governmental, intergovernmental & non governmental partners. Thye are dedicated to promoting humane & orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services & advice to govt’s & migrants.
- IOM is one of the leading humanitarian & development actors operating in Somalia with extensive experience & expertise in providing technical assistance to governmental, non governmental & other partners in support of their efforts to meet the operational challenges of migration, provide direct assistance to vulnerable migrants, mobile populations & affected host communities through development oriented as well as emergency response programs implemented throughout Somalia.
- The Migrant Protection & Assistance Division (MPA) under IOM Somalia’s Department of Migration Management (DMM), is implementing various projects that aim to improve migration management capacities with a focus on preventing & addressing irregular migration, voluntary returns, trafficking in persons & smuggling of migrants & providing assistance to vulnerable migrants & returnees in Somalia.
- Under the overall supervision of Program Manager MPA & under the direct supervision of Program Officer MPA, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the implementation, monitoring & reporting of MPA’s projects in Somaliland including ongoing activities & IOM Somalia’s overall reception of & support to returnees & arrivals from Yemen, which also entails programmatic elements in Puntland & in southern Somalia.
- Conduct consultation meetings with relevant stakeholders & a brief desk review of strategy documents, available reports & data sources to garner a comprehensive overview of the existing structure for receiving vulnerable Somalis at port of entry & to map available services
- Arrange & conduct key informant interviews & focus group discussions to identify common characteristics of Somalis returning with increased levels of vulnerability identifying vulnerabilities, protection concern, risk & needs establish common contextual factors & analysis.
- Cross reference findings with existing data to migrant map the common trends & patterns of vulnerabilities & risks that can inform frontline service provision referral mechanisms.
- Work with the key stakeholders to develop tools & establish the process for receiving, reviewing & analyzing data to amend vulnerable migrant profiles as more data is received.
- Devise training material & facilitate a ToT to train frontline workers on the use of migrant screening forms & onward referral mechanisms, based on the Determinants of Migrant Vulnerability (DoMV) model.
- Devise an M&E plan for review.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Undertake travel duties as assigned.
- This role works under the overall supervision of Program Manager MPA & under the direct supervision of Program Officer MPA.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 3 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Development Studies, Social Sciences, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with 5 years of relevant professional experience OR University Degree in the above fields with 10 years of relevant professional experience.
- High level technical knowledge on migrant protection & assistance (MPA) in general & Assistance to Vulnerable Migrants (AVM) in particular.
- Experience on data collection & analysis is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Somalia, particularly in relation to the thematic areas is an advantage.
- Strong computer skills, specifically handson experience in usage of MS Office.
- Fluent in English (required).
- Fluent Somali & any other official UN languages such as French or Arabic (desired).
- Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects & promotes individual & cultural differences, encourages diversity & inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards & acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles / rules & standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent & committed manner & exercises careful judgment in meeting day to day challenges.
Core competencies – Behavioural indicators level 3:
- Teamwork: Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner; is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing & sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way.
Managerial competencies – Behavioural indicators level 3:
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example & demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision, assists others to realize & develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: Creates an atmosphere of trust & an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best & develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking & vision: Works strategically to realize the organization’s goals & communicates a clear strategic direction.
Other relevant information:
- Internals of the organization & NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as 1st tier candidates.
- This vacancy is also open to 2nd tier candidates.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements & security clearances.