CARE International is a humanitarian aid organization fighting global poverty, with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities. As a non-religious and non-political organization, CARE works with communities to help overcome poverty by supporting development projects and providing emergency relief. We believe supporting women and girls is one of the most effective ways to create sustainable outcomes in poor communities.
We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the position of Business Analyst – based in Hargeisa
2. Job Summary
The purpose of CO Business Analyst is to create information from financial data that can be decision input for the overall financial management of CARE Somalia. While all other subunits of Finance focus on the production of financial data, this position will assist the Finance Director in oversighting data quality and undertaking of financial analysis and reporting for overall CO performance.
The position will also assist the Finance Director in new process and system development and roll-outs; leading the overall CO audit processes (not donor-specific audits); represent Finance in the monthly FAR with SSC, lead the COs statutory reporting.
This position will support the Country Office reporting and analysis of its financial data by developing specialized and complex templates that will be used by both Hub offices and Sub Offices, reviewing and analyzing financial information from field offices, and preparing and assessing specialized reports such as bank reconciliation and advances.
3. Roles & responsibilities
Responsibility #1: Budget Management & Financial Analysis
- Provide technical support to the Country Office in Master Budget preparation to ascertain gaps.
- Deliver technical support to ensure maximized SPC costs recovery and optimize charges to donors instead of UNR.
- Undertake the multiyear analysis on SPCs to ensure essential support services incurred to implement all projects and programs are budgeted and recovered effectively using the Shared Program Cost (SPC) method in compliance with donor rules and regulations;
- Represent finance in the budget development for new proposals and to ensure that SPC budgeting is completed as per the multiyear analysis on SPC.
- Review monthly FAR reports from SSC; ensure that all open items and issues in the report are timely addressed; represent CO Finance in the overall communication with SSC.
- Ensure that CO support staff are budgeted as per the Flexi structure of the CO; lead the overall funding gap analysis for CO support staffs;
- Maintaining a database on pricing/costs so that new proposal developments are supported with updated pricing information; produce costing standards for performance measurements and consistency of practices throughout the CO.
- Proactively identify and recommend opportunities to increase revenue, decrease costs, gain efficiencies, improve internal controls or improve operational capabilities,
- Conduct desk reviews for Office locations from time to time, Identify and monitor critical issues with significant inaccuracies and potential accounting shortfalls.
% of Time: 40%
Job Responsibility # 2: Financial Reporting
- Undertake pipeline analysis/commitment control reporting for Emergency projects so that budget holders get comprehensive and updated financial information for effective emergency responses;
- Liaise with Internal Audit for follow up and timely closing of audit action items.
- Compile data on cost centres (offices, vehicles, staffs, etc.) and produce reports on cost per cost centres so that senior management have an insight and comparison for cost reasonableness;
- Liaise with Commodity Management Unit of the CO to ensure that commodity costing, documentation, monitoring, and reporting are as per the CO commodity management guideline/manual;
- Lead the periodic Financial Reports to regulatory bodies, review such reports before submission to these regulatory bodies
- Manage the COs periodic reports to RMU (COMFORT, Dashboard
- Review VAT reports to donors; follow up on VAT tracking system of the CO.
- Responsible for annual VAT reporting to CARE USA
% of Time: 30%
Job Responsibility # 3 Process Improvements
- Coordinate with all units of Finance to assess and log operational bottlenecks/system flaws; propose process improvements for operational efficiencies;
- Assist the Finance Director on the roll-out/cascading of new processes and systems; provide orientations and/or training on same to all concerned staffs.
% of Time: 15%
Job Responsibility # 5: Capacity Building
- Conduct field visits to undertake supportive supervisions on financial documentation, analysis and reporting;
- Assist the Finance Director on the provision of training to budget holders, finance staffs.
% of Time: 15%
4. PROBLEM-SOLVING (Thinking Environment)
The level of problem-solving this position will face is level number one. What has to be done and how to do it are clearly defined in the Financial Policy and Procedures manual.
5. Requirements and Minimum Education Level
- BA in Finance/Accounting or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- A Professional Accounting Qualification either CPA or ACCA
- 5 years of job related experience.
- NGO experience.
- Very good communication and presentation skills;
- Well organized, ability to work independently, ability to act in a professional and ethical manner;
- Very good skills in computer applications, especially advanced use of excel for financial analysis and reporting;
Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, integrity, analytical ability, building commitment, stress tolerance, collaboration, interpersonal skill, contributing to team success and customer focus.
8. Contacts/Key Relationships
The jobholder reports directly to the Finance Director but expected to work closely with the Hub Offices Staff and collaborate with all concerned CARE Staff.
9. Working Conditions
This is a posting in Hargeisa, Somaliland with frequent travel to project sites depending on security conditions.
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in a ONE PDF document to SOM.Recruitment@care.org by 9 April 2020. Candidates are required to quote the position title “Business Analyst” on the subject line of the email when applying. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.**
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitations