UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Hope
Social and Behavioral change communication together with community engagement is key to effectively uplift the life and livelihood of people around the world. It is more relevant and even crucial in a country context like Somalia. This social and behavioral change communication often termed as Communication for Development (C4D) is a part and parcel of all human development initiatives both in humanitarian and development context. UNICEF-Somalia, one of the largest UNICEF presence in the region, has a dedicated C4D section, which supports thematic areas/ sections like health, nutrition, education, WASH, child protection etc. Each section is responsible for designing and implementation of SBCC/C4D component of their programs/ projects through their line ministries and implementing partners, and the C4D section provides technical support to these sections through C4D focal points. Besides, C4D conducts training for all implementing partners and line ministries on interpersonal communication, monitoring and reporting mechanism. Currently, the section requires the service of a qualified and experienced capacity-building professional with background/ technical expertise in M&E to design and facilitate these training, and to harmonize the M&E mechanism for C4D intervention across sections/ thematic areas.
How can you make a difference?
- Design training modules and relevant presentations.
- Develop three sets of core trainers in Mogadishu, Garowe, and Hargeisa through training of trainers.
- With the help of core trainers, plan and facilitate interpersonal communication, monitoring, and reporting training to frontline workers and supervisors.
- Collaborate with C4D focal points in sections, and assist them in designing/ revising M&E tools to measure the outcome/ impact of SBCC/C4D interventions.
- Attend partnership meetings and work closely with C4D focal points to ensure the incorporation of appropriate C4D interventions and the M&E mechanism in line with proper indicators.Design and facilitate training on interpersonal communication, monitoring, and reporting to frontline workers and supervisors in partner agencies.
- Work closely with program sections and assist them in designing/ revising their monitoring and reporting tools to measure output and outcome of social and behavioral change intervention incorporating relevant indicators and reporting mechanisms in partnership documents.
Expected Deliverables and Timeline
Designing training modules with relevant PowerPoint presentations and handouts
One module for frontline workers, one for supervisors and the other for core trainers
Designing tools for recording, reporting and compiling C4D interventions
Set of forms and excels sheets for recording, reporting and compilation of intervention data
Working closely with C4D focal points to streamline M&E tools for C4D
Training for core trainers, frontline workers and supervisors have been conducted
All the sections and their partners have relevant forms and excel sheets to record, report, compile and measure impact of their intervention.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields in required: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or any other relevant technical field.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: Developing a training module and facilitating training for adults. Designing tools for monitoring and evaluation
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization will be considered as an asset.
- Proficiency in Somali and any other local language besides English will also be considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=530679