Position Title : Chief of Mission
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade D1
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 February 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Second-tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director (RD) for East and Horn of Africa in Nairobi and in close cooperation with relevant Units in Headquarters (HQ), the Chief of Mission (CoM) will be responsible for the overall operations of the Country Office, overseeing and providing policy and ensuring that programmes are designed and implemented in line IOM’s strategic objectives, as well as government and donor expectations.
The successful candidate will be IOM’s principal interlocutors with; the Government of Somalia at the Federal and State levels; United Nations (Specialised agencies, United Nations
Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM), United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOA)); African Union Mission to Somalia (AMISOM); international and national Non-Government Organizations and donors. S/he will be responsible for the full range of IOM services and the advancement of IOM’s role in providing specialist and programmatic support in dealing with such issues. In this function, the CoM will also be responsible for liaising with the RD and HQ on issues, concerns and opportunities relating to such interactions.
S/he will be responsible and accountable for developing and promoting IOM’s strategy and programming in Somalia within the overall regional framework and in view of the highly complex operational environment in Somalia.
The CoM will be responsible for the overall operations of the Country Office, ensuring that programmes are designed and implemented in line with government and donor expectations and that IOM”s reputation and profile is enhanced through its programmatic contributions to the country.
The CoM will ensure that staff welfare and security are addressed to the highest possible standard, and fully in line with IOM’s standards of employment and ethics. In light of Somalia’s high levels of corruption, particular emphasis will be required in the areas of fiduciary risk assessment and oversight.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Development and follow-up of Strategies, Policies, and Programmes
Resource Mobilization, Management, and Security
Representation of IOM:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Law, Political Science, Human Rights, Migration Studies, International Relations, Humanitarianism or a related field from an accredited academic institution with fifteen years of relevant professional experience.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, ability to prepare and deliver speeches on various topics within the Organization;
• Effective resource management skills, sound knowledge of financial and business administration and of the principles and practices of management; ability to motivate, supervise and coach/direct staff;
• In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration-related subject areas dealt with by theOrganization;
• Experience in programme planning, development and management, specifically in the humanitarian field relating to migration, returnees, refugee, IDP issues, Camp Coordination and Camp Management, showing increasing levels of responsibility;
• Experience in fieldwork in a challenging environment and community-based stabilization processes necessary;
• Proven experience in implementing projects in emergency, fragile and post-conflict political settings;
• Willingness to travel up to 60% of the time to very remote and isolated field locations and work in a diverse multi-cultural environment;
• Familiarity with the UN system;
• Strong and proven, liaison, negotiation and analytical skills;
• Demonstrated strategic and creative thinking; and,
• Proven experience in diplomacy, fundraising and public relations, as well as in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and international institutions.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential. • Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 February 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 29.01.2020 to 11.02.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fees). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 17 Chief of Mission (D1) Mogadishu, Somalia (56323270) Released
Posting: Posting NC56323271 (56323271) Released
Posting Channel: Internal Candidates