Nordic International Support Foundation (NIS) SOMALIA:
The Nordic International Support Foundation (NIS) is a Norwegian-registered non-profit organization engaged in stabilization and reconciliation initiatives in conflict and post-conflict areas. Our primary areas of intervention are institutional development, public service delivery, and conflict resolution. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, NIS is currently implementing projects in Somalia, Myanmar, and the Sahel. NIS Somalia is currently implementing a wide range of projects in South Central, Puntland and Somaliland with plans to expand in to new areas. The organization has offices in Mogadishu, Baidoa, Kismayo and operational presence across all federal member states of Somalia.
JOB SUMMARY & PURPOSE:
The Initiative for Stabilization, transition and National Development (I-STAND) is a program contracted by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The goal of I-STAND is to increase legitimacy for and trust in government institutions at varying levels (local, regional, and federal). The I-STAND Program is Built around a comprehensive Theory of Change (ToC), that suggests investing in the government’s ability to deliver small-scale infrastructure projects will directly improve local residents’ trust in Somali authorities, which in turn will enhance government legitimacy and, ultimately, increase stability in the target districts. This is realized by assisting local governments in delivering small-scale infrastructure projects, such as the installation of Solar streetlights, hospital solar electrification, creation of a technical and vocational training center; rehabilitation of roads; and investment in sports facilities among others.
The main purpose of the civil engineer is to closely supervise the construction work and quality control in the identified all project locations, specified in the portfolio of I STAND project funded by Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
· Apply standard engineering practices and precedents in the construction, maintenance, repair and liquidation of structures and facilities.
· Apply commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the constructions or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, culverts and other related structures required in the field.
· Ensure specifications and standards for the quality of civil works undertaken by the contractors through checking by the contractor’s physical works based on technical drawings.
· Produce technical drawings using latest engineering software’s for all civil works.
· Estimate cost of repairs to damaged buildings, facilities and systems in order to determine whether repairs or replacement are feasible.
· Produce bill of quantities (BOQ) for all civil works.
· Review the project activities submitted by the contractor for the execution of the works to establish whether the methods, arrangements, order and timing of the activities are realistic.
· Assist in preparing bid documents and managing the bid process for infrastructure projects and assessing quotations submitted by the contractors for carrying out variations, collect market rates regularly, and prepare market rate analysis of all components of civil works.
· Participate in planning, coordination and execution of the project activities in all region in Somalia.
· Support any relevant assessments or studies and provide feedback on findings to the relevant stakeholders for quality programming
· Schedule and implement the approved work plans for field activities in consultation with the entire project team
· Remain alert to identify and appropriately report any emerging project issues in targeted locations.
· Conduct preliminary site investigations to obtain field data such as buildings, roads, water supply systems etc.
· Conduct regular monitoring visits to the project site to assess the efficiency of resources
· Prepare and submit relevant reports containing brief descriptions of actual versus planned progress, problems encountered and their solutions and comments on the quality of work and contractor performance.
· Submit weekly project updates, monthly progress report and contribute to project final/quarterly reports, with good quality progressive photos.
· Compile field visit and assessment reports as appropriate.
· Ensure that all documentation of the project is promptly and correctly filled and archived as necessary.
· Follow-up regularly on project deliverables, monitor progress and identify and report the gaps that needs to be addressed;
· Assist in documenting case studies and success stories (written & audio) for the project and or support other project if need be.
· Degree in civil engineering, construction management or other related fields.
· At least five years of Progressively responsible job related in Construction.
· Knowledge of computer application including use of Microsoft Office packages and engineering CAD software’s, such as AutoCAD/ArchiCAD/Civil 3D.
· Knowledge and experience of project management is desirable.
· Strong leadership and demonstrated ability to work independently and within a team, prioritize tasks and manage multiple activities with attention to detail and ability to meet very tight deadlines.
· Experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage.
· Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
· Knowledge of structure designs and ability to design multi-story building using structural software.
· Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is a major issue
· Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential, Fluency in Somali language is desirable
· Planning and organizing: Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, and to identify priority activities and assignments.
· Communication: Solid communication skills, both oral and written; ability to provide both detailed and strategic analysis and negotiation skills; ability to prepare written reports that are clear, concise and meaningful. Good facilitation skills.
· Teamwork: Strong interpersonal skills; willingness and ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a diverse work environment in a multicultural, multiethnic organization.
· Ability to work well under pressure and handle concurrent activities simultaneously.
· Any other duties assigned by the Program Manager of I STAND, the Program & Technical Director and the Country Representative.
The employee will be accountable for and evaluated on the responsibilities and the competencies, based on NIS’s Performance Management System. The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
· The Job Description
· The individual work and professional development plan
· The competency framework
The position is for initially 12 months with a possibility of Extension.
How to apply
· Only those interested candidates who meet the profile stated above should submit their applications accompanied by a detailed CV, copies of both academic and professional certificates and testimonials, names and addresses of three reputable referees, contact details (e-mail, telephone) to the following address: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/df1a47501f124600a69867f92f4acf4c
“QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY”.**