Trócaire envisages a just world where people’s dignity is ensured, where rights are respected and basic needs are met, where there is equity in the sharing of resources and where people are free to be the authors of their own development.
Trócaire is an Irish development agency that was established in 1973 by the Catholic Bishops of Ireland. Trócaire’s work is inspired by Catholic Social teachings, with an overarching commitment to social justice. Trócaire works in 11 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, working through local partner organizations to deliver programmes on issues relating to: Accountable Governance and Human Rights; Natural Resource Use and Resource Rights; Women’s Empowerment; and Humanitarian Preparedness and Response.
Trócaire has been working in Somalia for over 25 years and established an office in Gedo in 1991. In Somalia, we implement projects directly and collaborate with local communities to deliver Humanitarian programs in the following sectors;
· Water, Sanitation And Hygiene Promotion
· Food security and Livelihood
OBJECTIVE and SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objective of the assignment is to collect human interest stories coupled with high quality photographs and video footage that showcase the work implemented by Trócaire in Gedo region focusing on
· one story in Luuq focusing on District Health Board governance structure
· Two stories on the impact of Trocaire’s work on lives of mothers in Gabarharey
· Photos of the health facilities in Garbaharey and Luuq
· one story in Luuq focusing on Luuq Hospital Matron-HIS
· Focusing on the Child Friendly Spaces in Luuq
· Focusing on provision of clean water for IDP camps
· Focusing on demand creation for uptake of services
· Video to include:
o Footage of an ongoing health education session for a mother by FCI
o Footage of an ongoing support supervision by MoH
· Each focusing on nutrition and Income generating activities
The stories will communicate clearly and in a compelling style the positive impacts that Trócaire’s programme is having upon households and communities that are marginalized, with a focus on women and other vulnerable groups. The case studies will focus on the positive achievements of our work by capturing the following types of stories:
ü Testimonials of community members who have benefitted from the projects
ü What were their lives like before? How has their life change for the better? What do they like about the project? How do they see the future?
ü Examples of project interventions/approaches/technologies that have been particularly successful
ü What was the problem Trócaire Somalia tried to address? How did they address it? What was the result? Why was it successful?
The stories should also communicate:
SPECIFIC TASKS AND RESPONSIBILTITIES
Under the direct supervision of Trócaire’s Program Manager the Consultant(s) will be required to;
· Meet with the project management team at a kick-off meeting to concretize the expectations of the consultancy, develop the scenario and themes, and agree on the work schedule and logistical arrangements required for collecting the case studies.
· Interview selected stakeholders who will include actual beneficiaries, local government officials and key project staff (partners and Trócaire) in order to understand the projects and to refine the stories that they will capture in the case studies.
· Visit sites as advised by Trócaire team in Gedo region
· Produce 9 stories (up to 500 words each each). They should be a standalone and cover good news and success stories relating to focus area indicated above. The stories should focus on testimonials of community members who have benefitted/are benefitting from project interventions
· Each case study should be accompanied by at least 15 high quality, high-resolution photos. Photos should focus on the subjects of the case study. Each photos must be accompanied by information collected by the contractor on site, signed consent including the names, ages, family details and ‘back stories’ of the people photographed.
· Produce one documentary
Photo and Video Specifications
· Pictures need to be over 300 DPI
· Files should not to be compressed to ensure they are of high resolution for print
· Focus on people from the testimonials, direct photos of the beneficiaries involved specifically.
· Pictures to show need where possible.
· Eye contact is very much essential where we are photographing people directly especially for those whom we will get testimonials from.
· Full names and ages of people in the photos are essential and consent (in writing) should be obtained for use both online and in print.
· The picture should not be too crowded (one or two people maybe more impactful depending on the setting)
• Contextual shots of facilities (with Trócaire signage visible if possible) including aerial images of the health facilities in Luuq and Garbaharey
• Shots of Trócaire staff providing care to patients at the health facility
• Portraits and medium shots of staff or volunteers at hospital/centre
• Portraits, medium shots and family portraits of patients (in particular mothers and babies/infants; and mothers with new born babies accessing services)
• Shot’s of FCIs doing home visits, beneficiaries, beneficiaries receiving services from a health worker
· Footage of an ongoing health education session
· Footage of an ongoing support supervision by MoH
· Footage of beneficiaries receiving services
· Footage of the beneficiaries in the testimonials specifically in the health facility, receiving treatment or support
· Submit a detailed proposal, including budget, work plan and shooting schedule
· Participate in an inception meeting with Trócaire to review the proposal and agree on any revisions
· Submit a final proposal within 48 hours of the inception meeting
· Meet with project stakeholders in field sites to agree on field visit schedule.
· Conduct field visits to scout locations and identify subjects for the case studies.
· Submit proposal for each case study for approval by Trócaire before collection.
· Present a first draft of each case study for comments from Trócaire team.
· Use comments to make edits and submit finalized draft to Trócaire for approval, at most 5 working days from receipt of initial comments.
· Provide final draft of each case study, including photographs, to Trócaire in five (5) working days from receipt of final comments.
· Submit all raw materials collected during the collection of the case studies upon approval of the deliverables.
Trócaire Somalia seeks to engage the services of qualified and experienced consultant with the following qualifications and experience
· At least Five (5) years of professional experience working in a similar field
· Extensive experience in producing development work related documentaries for international organisations with the aim of reaching both local and international audiences.
· Experience in working with other international organizations.
· Knowledge of the local context in Gedo Region of Somalia
· Excellent technical capacities to ensure smooth and high quality production.
· Additional experience in development communication will be an added advantage.
The assignment is expected to take approximately 25 calendar days from the date of signing the contract, with approximately 6 days’ field travel and work.
All information pertaining to this project (documentary, audio, digital, cyber, project documents, etc.) belonging to the client, which the Consultancy firm may come into contact with in the performance of his/her, duties under this assignment shall remain the property of the Client who shall have exclusive rights over their use. Except for purposes of this assignment, the information shall not be disclosed to the public nor used without written permission of the Client in line with the national and International Copyright Laws applicable. The contractor will however be credited in all pictures when used by Trócaire.
The Consultancy firm’s payment shall be based on the financial proposal developed for this consultancy.
Payment shall be made in three instalments of;
· 30% down payment upon signing contract, invoice and following approval of the inception report by Trócaire
· 40% Upon review and approval of the first draft pieces
· 30% final payment upon receipt by Trócaire of the final outputs that meet expectations for quality, including photographs, accompanying information and all raw materials.
Applicants are requested to submit the following:
· A letter of interest, stating why you consider yourself/your firm suitable for the assignment;
· Brief methodology outlining the approach you will take to deliver the assignment effectively, on time and with attention to quality of results;
· Financial proposal indicating consultancy fee and a breakdown of all other costs related to the assignment;
· Personal CV(s) of technical personnel proposed for this project, highlighting qualifications and experience in similar projects;
· Work references – contact details (e-mail addresses) of referees (firms for whom you’ve produced similar assignments);
· Samples of work produced on similar assignment by your company.
Please forward the above to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5th December 2019 at 5PM EAT