UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, health
How can you make a difference?
The Communication for Development Specialist reports to Health Manager, EPI for general guidance and supervision. The Specialist provides technical and operational support for developing a systematic, planned and evidence-based strategy and process for C4D as an integral part of programme development, planning and implementation.
Through communication and engagement, as well as the empowerment and participation of stakeholders, communities, children, civil society partners, and government counterparts, s/he promotes measurable behavioral and social change/mobilization. This subsequently contributes to the achievement of sustainable and concrete results in improving children’s rights, survival and wellbeing in the country.
Support to strategy design and development of C4D activities
- Conduct and/or participate in comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region, including through national/subnational working groups or committees. Assess/synthesize qualitative and quantitative information, data and evidence to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Programme of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
- Participate in country programme planning and reviews to contribute to discussions on the underlying and contextual issues to be addressed (e.g. policies, gender/children inequality, cultural/social behavior etc) to ensure the successful and sustainable delivery of programme results and provide technical recommendations on approaches, strategies and plans of action for C4D to promote behavioral and social change.
- Prepare or provide quality assurance on materials and related documentations for C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programmes) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Collaborate/consult with a wide range of partners and stakeholders to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of C4D activities with UNICEF MTSP, CO global communications and advocacy activities and UN System development activities and initiatives at the CO level, including in humanitarian response.
Implementation of C4D activities
- Collaborate with, advise and/or consult internal partners and external partners to design C4D strategies, including formulation, production and testing materials to organize C4D events and activities to ensure engagement and participation of key audiences, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change, including in humanitarian response.
- Confirm/verify the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications strategies, including materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audiences (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc). Recommend appropriate multiple media formats (e.g. print, digital/social media, TV/Radio, Web, community networks, etc.). Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, etc. to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self-determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable programme results on children and women’s rights, equity and wellbeing. Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events.
- Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia and other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEFs competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social/political engagement for political action on children’s rights, and measurable changes in social and behavioral outcomes.
- Conduct and/or participate in Monitoring and Evaluation exercises, including country programme previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess/report on efficacy/outcome of C4D on UNICEF and CO Strategic Plans/Goals. Recommend timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
Technical and operational support
- Collaborate with internal CO, RO and/or RO colleagues to contribute to the development of strategies, approaches, policies and the planning of C4D social and resource mobilization initiatives in support of programmes/projects implementation and delivery of results, including humanitarian response.
- Participate in CO strategic discussions to collaborate on policy and agenda setting for C4D advocacy and investments and related external relations and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Participate in budget planning and management of programme funds and prepare financial plan for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
Advocacy, networking and partnership building Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners, e.g. academia; social networks; celebrities, journalist, media, all sectors/levels of (socially aware) society and critical audience to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities for C4D advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging and use of multiple media and communication platforms to enhance C4D outreach including in humanitarian contexts.
- Participate in organizational and/or inter-agency (UNCT; National UN Communication for Development Roundtable) discussions and planning to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in the UNDAF planning and preparation of C4D advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives including emergencies.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and latest technology on multiple media and social/digital platforms and networks for C4D that are appropriate/available for the CO context and audience.
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners, and disseminate these products to key audiences including donors and partners.
- Organize/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners (government and non-government) in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programmes/projects including in humanitarian settings.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioral science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, public relations or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: communication for development, public advocacy or another related area.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or international organization is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are…
- Builds and maintains partnerships
- Demonstrates self-awareness and ethical awareness
- Drive to achieve results for impact
- Innovates and embraces change
- Manages ambiguity and complexity
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Works collaboratively with others
- Nurtures, leads and manages people
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
“UNICEF only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/”
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
“This VA is open to all internal staff and other UNICEF personnel (including consultants, JPOs, UNVs, TAs etc.)”
How to apply
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=531932