DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
The Intern role is area focused and will be responsible for documenting field activities – photos, videos, beneficiary quotes and human-interest stories. The intern will be based in Mogadishu with frequent field visits to various DRC Somalia locations. He/She will provide communication support to the field office in Mogadishu.
· Accompany project staff and take photos of project activities
· Caption and upload photos of project activities on Smugmug
· Collect Human interest stories from beneficiaries
· Carry out video interviews of beneficiaries & loosely edit videos
· Share loosely edited videos with comms officer & comms specialist for use
· Share project activity photos & information in a timely fashion for immediate dissemination.
· Collect quotes from beneficiaries and share with accompanying photographs for dissemination
· Support field office with other assigned communication activities.
· Collect internal staff stories for DRC Somalia’s Internal newsletter. English/Somalia Translations for
· communication documents
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience, education and technical competencies
- Recent Graduate or Post Graduate in Communications, Journalism, Graphics or Public relations
- Interest and or experience in media & communication including photography and videography skills.
- Ability to produce written English across a range of communication products.
- Relevant skills in social media posting an advantage.
- High attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to multi-task and work with short deadlines.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.**
Availability: September 2020
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reporting to: Communication Specialist.
Duration: 9 months.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 23rd August, 2020.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.