In April 2020, the Global Partnership for Education has approved an additional Maximum Country Allocations (MCA) for the implementation of the Education Sector Strategic Plan of the Federal Government of Somalia. It is two year program commencing from June 1, 2020 to May 2023. The program has four key components including: Component 1: Increasing equitable access to and quality of early childhood care and education. Component 2: Increased equitable access to quality primary education for out-of-school children. Component 3: Enhanced quality of education and children’s learning outcomes. Component 4: Strengthening the education system at the federal member state level for improved service delivery.
Component 2 is a key component seeking to build on the ongoing ESPIG activities specifically through the expansion of school facilities within the schools supported to improve the learning environment to ensure children are learning in spaces that are safe, healthy and gender sensitive. This component has two main outputs: (a) construction and rehabilitation of school infrastructure, (b) improving access to education for children with disabilities through screenings and the provision of equipment and learning materials.
As such, the construction engineer is intended to support the Federal Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education in the implementation of all activities under this component.
The construction engineer will be tasked to do the following activities:
- Take the lead role in the implementation of the activities under component 1 as per the program implementation guidelines.
- Organize all activities related to the implementation of construction works under the GPE funded MCA program including school construction and WASH facilities.
- Responsible for the identification, design, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all construction activities in the assigned locations under the GPE funded MCA program.
- Confirm completion of construction works in writing and provide technical support to the programme management team.
- Issue interim payment certificates, variation orders, substantial completion certificates, construction defects list and final completion certificates as and when required.
- Monitor rectification of defects list within the retention periods.
- Closely work with SAVE THE CHILDREN (Grant agent) engineer in all aspects of the program activities.
- Implement the GPE funded MCA program as planned according to developed technical standards, schedules and timelines.
- Carry out designing, implementation, monitoring and supervision.
- Support the implementation of the ECCE activities at their respective states.
Duration of the Assignment
The Assignment will be accomplished within 12 months.
Key requirements for this position include:
· Degree in civil engineer with experience in WASH engineering and hygiene promotion activities and Education projects in an NGO context.
· Extensive experience (minimal 4 years) of Infrastructure engineering in humanitarian or fragile state contexts.
· Experience in Computer Aided Designs like AUTOCAD, ARCHICAD, REVIT ETC is MUST
· Experience in quantity surveying, project design, implementation and evaluation.
· Ability to write clear, well-argued technical assessment and project reports
· Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation
· Computer literate (ability to use advanced excel)
· A basic level of written and spoken English and Somali
How to apply
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply online by clicking and following the link below by 15-Sept-2020: http://moe.gov.so/job_app
NB: Late applications will not be considered.