Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
WFP Somalia through its Schools Feeding Program proposes to undertake construction of schools kitchens, stores & dinning shades for the KfW projects supported schools in Jubaland – Somalia. With delegated authority of the WFP Engineer, the Construction Supervision Engineer will be primarily responsible for construction supervision & sites monitoring of the schools kitchens, stores & dinning shades to the following schools here under collectively, referred to as “projects”:
- Faanole Primary School.
- Dhobley Primary School.
- Rugta Primary School.
- Wamo Primary School.
- Dhaygab Abe School.
- Campajuran Abe School.
- Durasalam Abe School.
- Qansaxley Abe School.
- Warcardey Abe School.
- Araba Primary School.
- Kabasa Primary School.
- Qansahley Primary School.
- Taleh Primary school.
- Bacadweyn Primary School.
The projects scope of works comprises of the following:
- Builder’s works: Substructure & ground floor, walling, concrete superstructure of columns & beams, windows, doors, floor, wall, ceiling finishes, roofing & built in fittings.
- Plumbing & drainage installation works: Water tank support, soak pit & wash hand basin.
- Electrical installation works: Switch gear & distribution board, earthing & lighting & socket outlets.
The Construction Supervision Engineer shall report directly to the Lead Engineer & ultimately to the WFP Project Manager with the following generic duties (these duties are generic & thus not all inclusive):
- Assist in planning & implementation of the project including use of engineering survey equipment & appropriate technology to deliver the project within schedule.
- As delegated by the Project Engineer, act as Construction Supervisor for the projects by providing oversight of technical quality, schedules. Monitor safety performance of construction contractor & maintain a comprehensive system of site records related to construction project(s).
- Oversee compliance to local & industry standards.
- Conduct site inspections, approve works to proceed & prepare the reports. Oversee & verify for Engineer’s certification the final construction works done depending on allocated budgets, as necessary.
- Conduct regular (weekly) site meetings & supervise contractors to ensure good governance of project works, including the quality of works & agreed time frames.
- Planning the work and efficiently organising the plant & site facilities in order to meet agreed deadline.
- Coordinating & executing of day to day operations pertaining to the construction works.
- Overseeing quality control, health & safety matters on site.
- Close monitoring & onsite supervision of the works is to be undertaken, including the contract administration for the works & technical advice & assistance to contracted contractor & labour.
- Act as first point of contact for WFP project team & the contractor.
- Monitoring & reporting to WFP project team, completion & or pertinent issues, including onsite liaison between the contractor & the end users / clients.
- Resolving any unexpected technical difficulties & other problems that may arise on site in liaison with the WFP project team.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- The Construction Supervision Engineer shall report directly to the Lead Engineer & ultimately to the WFP Project Manager.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- National Diploma in either Civil Engineering, Architecture, Building Economics or equal approved.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in design & construction supervision of buildings & infrastructure projects.
- Proven experience in quality control & monitoring of contractors.
Knowledge & skills:
- Knowledge & ability to use engineering survey equipment, office computer software programs including but not limited to MS Office, AutoCAD & / or similar.
- Must be fluent in oral & written English & Somali Languages.
- Language skills in Arabic are desirable.
- Self-driven & results focused.
- Problem solving skills, conflict resolution with an eye towards customer service while keeping WFP’s best interest in mind & the ability to respond quickly & appropriately to resolve issues.
- Conceptual thinking & analytical skills, with a strong eye for detail.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Computer literacy.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values & ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission & strategic goals of WFP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, age sensitivity & adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity & zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Planning & independently carrying out work requiring judgement in the evaluation, selection, application & adaptation of engineering techniques & procedures.
Other relevant information:
Deliverable’s at the end of the contract:
- Clear weekly & monthly work plan schedule for inspection of construction works.
- Daily, weekly & monthly progress reports on civil works activities.
- Construction works well inspected & timely completed based on approved specifications.
- Well articulated evaluation report on performance of contracted contractor.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link: