Dialog Forening Somalia (DF) was established in 2003 through efforts of Somali diaspora in Norway who were interested in assisting vulnerable Somali communities. The organization has been working in Somalia since 2008 with operations in Jubaland. Dialog Forening’s diaspora partners maintain desk volunteered officers raising funds from the Somalis who are living in Diaspora and other well-wishers.
Dialog Forening has great experience on the challenges faced by the local community and ways they can be addressed through projects. Dialog Forening holds efficient implementation record and ensures the type of activities recommended in this project have been determined by the beneficiaries, for reasons of sustainability and efficiency as this approach can help garner buy in from the communities themselves.
Dialog Forening is implementing ‘A Beekeeping Livelihood Project for Marginalised Communities in Luuq District, Gedo Region of Jubaland State, Somalia’
The project seeks to continue long term stabilization initiatives by Dialog Forening targeting vulnerable members of marginalised/minority communities by providing them with hands-on and transferable skills for sustainable jobs and wealth creation through beekeeping ventures that will enhance their reintegration and promote stability in Luuq district.
The objective of the project is to contribute towards achievement of project output in “Reducing Community Vulnerability to Conflict” through provision of more livelihood opportunities that decrease tension and encourage recovery of households.
This project aims at establishing sustainable Luuq Beekeeping economy through establishment of a state of the art, public access beekeeping centre built to promote beekeeping innovations and entrepreneurship for small farm economies and support among the minority communities in Luuq district. The establishment will encompass bee farming centre based on a model that can be adopted all over Somalia. The project will operate profit making model involving community and business sector that will support income generation thus ensuring the sustainability of the project without the need for further funding. Additionally, the centre will be used as a community demonstration and training centre for livelihood empowerment and ultimate transform economic development in the minority communities.
Dialog Forening is seeking a qualified consultant or team of consultants to conduct a market assessment and develop the concrete empirical findings on the status of beekeeping industry in Luuq and challenges that need addressing and lessons that can be adopted during project implementation. The consultancy is for a period of 15-20 days beginning in November, 2019 and will include desk review work, field level primary data collection and analysis, secondary data collection and analysis, report writing, review of project log frame and approaches with suggestions for revision where needed, and presentation of findings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSESSMENT
The purpose of the proposed study is to analyse the specific production and marketing characteristics of Luuq honey, elements of the honey value chain, including production costs, market size, competition and major constraints. It is expected that the assessment will enable a better understanding of the required support to the farmers and businessmen. The research will also be useful for other honey stakeholders groups applying for the beekeeping support in the future. The work will examine the current beekeeping economy, as well as explore promising areas of future growth.
The objective of this assignment is to conduct an in depth market study of honey industry in Luuq district, including:
a) Analysis of potential consumers in the district: Conduct sampled analysis of honey consumers’ attitude and preferences within Luuq and make conclusions on:
· Why do consumers buy honey in Luuq district?
· What is the consumers’ attitude towards honey produced in Luuq?
· Honey industry’s weaknesses and strengths.
· Are they willing to buy honey produced in Luuq if it is produced within the district and why?
· How is the competition of honey industry? Buyers and suppliers power, potential entrants and threats of substitutes.
· What are the estimated volumes of their consumption?
· What kind of primary and secondary packaging do the consumers prefer for Luuq honey?
· What is the price consumers are willing to pay for honey produced in Luuq?
· Where would the consumers like to buy honey in Luuq? What are the most convenient sales channels that can be used?
· Where does the honey used in Luuq comes from?
b) Honey value chain diagnostic: Conduct a diagnostic study of honey in Luuq district from raw material to end-users, gathering information on types of honey, sales, seasonal price fluctuations, technology used in production, food safety standards applied, marketing constraints, average production costs and net margins on profits. The diagnostic would include a final section on major limitations with regard to procurement, technology and marketing.
c) Luuq market study: Develop a market study on honey and related products in Luuq including the information on:
· The types of honey and related products consumed in the various parts of the district,
· The sales channels of honey in Luuq,
· Competition of honey in Luuq,
· An estimation of sales volumes,
· Origin of honey and related products,
· Wholesale and retail prices,
· Purpose of use, e.g. cooking, fresh consumption, etc.,
· An evaluation of consumer preferences,
· An overall evaluation of sales potential.
d) Export market study: Identify the most promising export markets for honey and related products from Luuq and Gedo region at large. Conduct a market study of these products targeting Kenya, Ethiopia, the Middle East and any other high potential country/region (Europe, USA, China, etc.) with the information on:
· The types of honey and related products consumed in the target countries,
· An estimation of sales volumes,
· Origin of honey and related products consumed in the countries,
· Wholesale and retail prices,
· Purpose of use, e.g. cooking, fresh consumption, medicinal, etc.,
· An evaluation of consumer preferences
· An overall evaluation of sales potential.
Describe the main constrains of honey exports from Luuq to the target countries and the basic requirements for honey imports to those countries.
e) Product recommendations and marketing plan:** Elaborate a set of recommendations on what honey products (pure, blended, etc.) the soon-to-be established cooperatives could produce and design local and export marketing strategy with specific contact and sales points for each market.
f) Challenges facing the honey industry in Luuq: Intricately explain the challenges facing the industry and issues that might affect the success of the project and its sustainability model stipulated in the proposal.
The consultant or consultancy firm will be supported by Dialog Forening staff in the field with technical guidance and data collection. Sign off to the final report will be done jointly by Dialog Forening and the consultant.
- Initial work plan and proposal for the market assessment outlining the proposed methodology and process of data collection and analysis that specifies:
· The project indicators that fall within the scope of the study based on the project proposal;
· The indicators for which the study value can only be established at a later stage;
· A detailed methodology for implementation of the market assessment, including sample sizes,
· A detailed timeline for the market assessment,
- Sampling techniques and sample sizes that will be applied;
- Definition of hypotheses to be tested throughout the study;
- A final set of data-collection tools, including guidance on how to use them in the field, , along with training strategies for enumerators;
- Recommendations for any revised program design strategies or approaches that may be needed to improve relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, and impact or for sustainability of the project in the field;
- Draft report of the market assessment for the feedback and comments of Dialog Forening and stakeholders involved;
- An updated project log frame using market assessment information;
- A final report in English with the following sections:
· Findings of the study
· Conclusions and recommendations
· Electronic annexes with the site-by-site raw data used for the market assessment
- Summary version of the final report to be shared with project communities through participatory meetings.
The expected methodology for such a assessment would include both direct and indirect data collection, analysis and cross referencing and formulating recommendations. Data collection will be done through site visits in operational areas. The methodology will be further defined by the consultant; the consultant will finalize the methodology to undertake this assessment that suits the objectives of the work.
It is envisaged that the methodology used during this assessment will include, but not be limited to, the following:
· Review of existing secondary information and reports relevant to the study topic.
· Discussion with key project staff of Dialog Forening and stakeholders at field level and other key informants.
· Interviews with concerned government agencies, business owners, bee farmers, line ministries, local administration, youth groups and other stakeholders involved.
· Field visits in the implementation areas for data collection and observations.
· Community level participatory meetings and discussions for data collection and information gathering.
· Special emphasis should be given to ensure participation of bee farmers in the process to understand the issues they are facing that will be resourceful to the project.
· Use of data from local institutions, farming groups or other relevant organizations
· Data analysis and verification of analysed data.
The successful applicant will propose a team that can provide adequate experience to conduct the assessment and that meets the following requirements:
· Post-graduate degree in related field relevant for the assignment study.
· Strong technical background in the field of market assessment, investment analysis and demonstrated experiences in conducting research studies in the livelihoods sector and beekeeping industry. The proposed team shall provide CVs that jointly demonstrate a mix of experience working on market research related issues, experience in the Somali context and experience in the collection and analysis of data for research.
· At least five years of hands on experience in conducting assessments and studies in the development sector with specific reference to agro pastoralist livelihood issues
· Familiarity with development programming related to honey industry and development opportunities.
· Good knowledge and experience in assessment design, implementation of assessments and statistical data analysis is required.
· Experience in the use of participatory appraisal techniques in data collection and analysis.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
All documentation related to the assignment shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Dialog Forening.
Applications should be submitted by 4th November 2019. The selection committee will review all applications as they arrive. All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above, and those unable to meet these requirements will not be considered. Dialog Forening is an equal opportunity employer.
Each application package should include the following:
· An application letter addressing the selection criteria including how the firm’s/group’s previous experience with sample reports that matches the consultancy objectives as well as the interest for the consultancy work. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates.
· A brief proposal for the honey market study with methodology and work plan
· Updated CVs for all consultants including relevant work experience and qualifications.
· Contact details of at least 3 references.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
All applications should be sent to Dialog Forening at email@example.com with the subject line: Application for Honey Market Assessment – Luuq District, Somalia