Purpose of the consultancy:
To do an external, independent evaluation of the project Emergency Relief to the Floodings in Beledweyne, Puntland, Somalia implemented by KAALO (local partner) with the support of Danish People’s Aid (DPA, the Danish partner).
In November 2019, KAALO and DPA began the implementation of the project mentioned above with the overall objective of contributing to saving lives and to increase the coping capacity of vulnerable populations affected by drought and food insecurity in Beledweyne of Somalia by May, 2020.
The project’s immediate objectives are:
To improve the quality of life through provision emergency lifesaving integrated WASH and EFSL to 15.100 persons in crises effected communities in Beledweyne District of Somalia.
· 13.000 persons have accessed emergency WASH services through rehabilitation water source, construction of emergency Latrines, distribution of hygiene kits to effected communities, AWD awareness Campaign
· 395 HHs have accessed immediate unconditional cash transfer and restored their livelihood related to food and income source.
The project ends by the 10 of May 2020, and the project partners therefore wish to undertake an external evaluation. The evaluation report must be finalized before the 31 of May 2020.
The consultant will receive the following background documents:
· Project proposal
· Grant agreement and conditions letter from CISU
· Implementation guidelines from CISU
· Access to project relevant documents from KAALO
· Other documentation relating to project activities
The consultant is expected to engage with some of the intended beneficiaries to establish impact of the project activities through interviews in Beledweyne Somalia.
The consultant should produce an evaluation report in English with a length of 12-14 pages (excluding annexures). The Report will be posted on the DPA and the donor’s websites, and therefore all beneficiaries must be anonymous in the report.
Criteria for Evaluation:
The evaluation should be based on the Principles for Evaluation of Development Assistance as set out by OECD’s Development Assistance Committee (DAC) and the CHS on quality and accountability summarized below:
- To what extent are the objectives of the project still valid?
- Are the activities and outputs of the project consistent with the overall objective and the attainment of its objectives?
- Are the activities and outputs of the project consistent with the intended impacts and effects?
- To what extent were the objectives achieved / are likely to be achieved?
- What were the major factors influencing the achievement or non-achievement of the objectives?
- Were activities cost-efficient?
- Were objectives achieved on time?
- Was the project implemented in the most efficient way compared to alternatives?
- What has happened as a result of the project?
- What real difference has the activity made to the beneficiaries?
- How many people have been affected?
- To what extent will the benefits of project continue after donor funding cease?
20th April, 2020 – Contract start date
11th – 15th May 2020 – Field work in Somalia
22th May, 2020 – Submission of first draft
31th May, 2020 – Submission of final draft
10th June, 2020 – Contract end date
Liaison and administrative support:
The consultancy will be managed by DPA Headquarters in Denmark. The contact person will be the Humanitarian Coordinator; Mr. Christian Cramon, email: firstname.lastname@example.org., Tel : +45 70 220 230.
The contact person at KAALO is the Program Director, Mr. Burhan Jama, who will assist the consultant with access to intended beneficiaries.
The consultant is expected to be available on skype, and provide own computer, telephone, etc.
Budget and conditions:
DPA will cover expenses for flight to and from Somalia, accommodation, local transport while in the field and visa fees etc. The consultant must make an estimated costs offer on the task.
DPA reserves the right to make changes to the TOR.
How to apply
Send an estimated bid on the task including all work hours to email@example.com before the deadline the 7 of April.