Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- The govt. of Somaliland is currently implementing a 5 year (2017 – 2021) National Development Plan that focuses on sustainable development & poverty reduction. The credibility of any economic development plan depends on the quality & reliability of statistical data on which it is based. The govt. of Somaliland recognizes that good statistics is crucial for evidence based decision making in planning & policy formulation. Poor statistics hampers the ability of planners, decision makers to make informed decisions, conduct M&E. The govt. of Somaliland demonstrated its commitment to evidence based planning, policy & decision making by passing a Statistics Law in 2013. This law provides a framework for improving the national statistical system. The law gives the Central Statistics Department in the Ministry of Planning & National Development the legal mandate to supervise & coordinate all statistical activities in the ministries, regional & local govt. The vision of the Ministry is to strengthen national statistics system to be coherent, comprehensive & of the highest quality that promotes a culture of evidence based policy, planning & decision making. Several major surveys have been conducted in the country under the leadership of the Ministry. A plan to undertake comprehensive populations census have been put in place. The Ministry is making investment in its HRD to enhance staff skills & knowledge in data collection, analysis & interpretations as part of preparation for upcoming populations census & surveys.
- Our client is seeking an expert to design & deliver training on CSPro Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing (CAPI) systems, for the technical staff of Ministry of Planning & National Development in Hargeisa, Somaliland. During this course training, participants will be introduced to features of the program that streamline the creation of dynamic & powerful applications. Participants will learn about ways to automate data processing tasks, creating batch for message error, creating then Dependent Verification Designing CAPI applications in CSPro for Android & how to create advanced tables. Participants will also learn from each other about how other organizations handle data processing tasks.
The objective is to train Statistical & ICT Officers from the Ministry of Planning & National Development on using CSPro to design a CAPI based questionnaire & setting up the underlying ICT infrastructure for the transfer of data from the field.
- Prepare tailor made training materials & facilitate the training for 5 days.
- The content of the training is as follows:
- Introduction to CAPI applications.
- Designing CAPI applications in CSPro for Android.
- Response validation using advanced logic programming.
- Controlling the flow of CAPI applications.
- Dynamic customization of questions, responses & forms at run time.
- Capturing & using GPS coordinates.
- Managing data flow for CAPI surveys.
- Tracking enumerator progress & efficiency.
- Creating menu & control systems for enumerators & supervisors.
- Synchronization of program & data files between Android devices & internet servers.
- Designing multilingual CAPI applications.
- Develop the logic for the skips, filters, consistency checks, roster functions, ordered execution, functions to keep track of the persons in the household, error messages, create a function to dynamically built administrative units (regions & districts) from a file according to the administrative location selected etc.
- Create external dictionaries & look up files.
- Compile the code & fix bugs.
- Prepare final training report.
- The Director General at the Ministry of Planning & National Development will have the primary supervisory responsibility for the effective management of the consultancy.
- Supervisory support will be provided from Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation Officer & Chief of Field Office in Hargeisa & as needed by the Chief, PM&E, based in Mogadishu.
- The Consultant will be based at the Ministry of Planning & National Development & s/he will report directly to the Director General.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 8 year of experience in Africa (essential).
Education, Experience & Language:
- Masters Degree or equivalent in IT &/or Statistics/Mathematics. IT Programming is essential.
- At least 8 years of experience in CSPro Android, developed applications for large surveys such as Household Survey, Demographic Health Survey & Housing & Population Census Surveys.
- Good interpersonal skills & able to teach others
- Considerable experience in the field of social & demographic data collection, processing & analysis, preferable i some developing countries.
- Excellent English speaking & writing skills.
- Should have familiarity with data processing approach of Multi Cluster Indicator Survey / MICS &/or Demographic & Health surveys (DHS).
- Experience of working with Somaliland authorities is desirable.
- Experience with UN system would be desirable.
- Planning & organizing.
- Respect for diversity.
Other relevant information:
Procedures & logistics:
- The Consultant will be based at the Ministry of Planning & National Development in Hargeisa (Somaliland). No travel outside Hargeisa is expected under this assignment.
- The training will be held in Hargeisa, at Mansoor Hotel or the Ministry of Planning Statistics Lab. Oour client/Ministry of Planning & National Development will arrange the venue for the training & cover cost of lunch/refreshment, stationary & other costs.
- Consultant will provide his/her own laptop & other necessary equipment.
- Under the consultancy agreements, the Consultant will be paid for a duration of 2 weeks. Consultants are not paid for weekends or public holidays.
- Consultants are not entitled to payment of overtime. All remuneration must be within the contract agreement.
- No contract may commence unless the contract is signed by both our client & the Consultant or Contractor.
- Our client will pay 2 way ticket if need be.
- The consultancy must be completed by 20th November 2019.
Methodology & technical approach:
- Consultant is expected to prepare training manual/material & to share with our client in advance for review & inputs.
- An Instructor is expected to use a blended learning approach including presentations, guided sessions of practical exercise & group work etc.
- All facilitation & course materials are expected to be offered in English.