REQUEST FOR CONSULTANTS**
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a global humanitarian organization with a mission to work with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change. ADRA Somalia belongs to the world wide network, comprised of more than 130 supporting and implementing country offices. ADRA Somalia is seeking to recruit a Consultant to conduct a Gender Based Violence TOT training for Teachers, community education committees (CECs) AND Ministry of education in Kismayu District, Lower Juba Region, Somalia.
- PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
This consultancy aims to ensure that representatives of groups responsible for education and welfare of children (teachers, CECs, MoE) receive training to improve their skills and knowledge on GBV and CP in order to increase their understanding of what constitutes abuse and exploitation; how to identify children going through violence and support the needs of GBV survivors.
Objective: To impart trainees with operational knowledge and understanding of key practices on case management, counselling services, and CEDAW norms and standards. At the end of the training, the 30-40 participants from the different agencies (teachers, CECs, MoE and ADRA) should be equipped to train others within their respective organization/agencies. The training will focus on how to work with GBV victims, counselling skills, as well as identification of GBV victims.
Specifically, the training will develop a training manual on GBV prevention and response. The training curriculum will be guided by Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) guidelines on Gender-Based Violence and all international framework on women’s rights including the Declaration on the “Elimination of Violence Against Women” and other relevant mechanisms in use at national level in Somalia.
The consultant will use both quantitative and qualitative research methods in collecting needed data and information to gain a deeper understanding of the nature/pattern and trends of sexual gender based violence and approaches to develop the training package. A concise questionnaire will be used to collect quantitative data while focus group discussions, anecdotal evidence, life stories and case studies will provide qualitative information;
Summary of Key Deliverables: In reference to the scope of work above, the consultant is expected to lead and accomplish the following:
- Undertake survey and training needs assessment for the participants to be trained.
- Develop interactive and detailed training modules/training session plan and all accompanying background material for the delivery of the training workshop on capacity building of teachers, MoE and ADRA on prevention of and response to violence against women.
- The training workshop shall include components on inter-sectoral collaboration and coordination of various sectors in providing response and ensuring effective prevention coordination, provision of support to victims, mediation and communication skills. The training workshop shall also include detrimental effects of gender based violence on women and girls, short and long term consequences (educational achievements, productivity, mental and psychological health) and gender sensitivity.
- Deliver training to teachers, CECs, MoE and ADRA on GBV prevention and response. The training should cover the identification and detection of victims/violence, reporting and response.
- As part of the training, deliver the training guidelines in addition to content and tools.
- Develop training report (max. 30 pages) outlining the main opportunities, challenges and way forward. The report should include recommendations for further addressing of violence against women and girls by various service providers including Government, LNGOs and INGOs among other key agencies.
- The consultant will be expected to also: Submit a detailed work plan for the consultancy period inception report and a training manual that covers topics including but not limited to protection, GBV prevention and response, basic case management and psycho-social skills, training skills, advocacy and coordination skills.
Qualifications of the Consultant
ü Advanced University Degree in law, gender, development studies, international relations or other related disciplines.
ü Excellent knowledge of Gender Based Violence prevention and response programming
ü Demonstrated experience mainstreaming good practices on Gender Based Violence and Gender across the programming and practices in government, humanitarian organizations and communities/schools.
ü Excellent and demonstrated understanding of Child Protection and ethical issues in programming
ü At least 3 years’ experience in gender sensitive programming
ü Familiarity with international standards and policies related to GBV including IASC GBV Guidelines.
ü Demonstrated experience in the development of training curricula and solid understanding of adult learning principles.
ü Fluency in Somali language is a mandatory requirement for this consultancy.
For the full Terms of Reference (TOR) please visit ADRA Somalia website www.adrasom.org. Interested persons should send a technical and financial proposal to email@example.com by 1st February 2020 . Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.‘’ADRA Somalia is committed to upholding the rights of all children and vulnerable adults that we serve and those we interact with in the course of our work. We endevour to protect all from all forms of abuse and exploitation as outlined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child and Inter Agency Standing