Who we are?
Muslim Aid are an International not-for-profit providing support to communities around the world affected by disasters, conflict or endemic poverty without regard to their social, religious, or ethnic background.
We place strong emphasis on long-term development projects that build the capacity of local people helping themselves. In addition to the 10 country offices worldwide we also work with multiple partner offices focusing on sustainable development programmes and providing humanitarian relief during times of crisis.
Why you should apply?
Are you up to the challenge of delivering quality development and humanitarian programmes in Somalia? Are you a dynamic and innovative leader and manager who can develop, grow and deliver Muslim Aid‘s programmes in Somalia?
- Can you lead and build a high-performing, diverse team and develop strong relationships with external stakeholders?
- Can you bring significant senior leadership and management experience, in the development and delivery of high quality development and humanitarian programs; work both with and through partners, and work in challenging and complex contexts?
- Do you have experience of building high performing teams with proven experience and understanding of how to drive and support excellent team performance and individual development? Are you passionate about gender and diversity?
- Do you have demonstrable experience in managing risk, security and legal compliance within an INGO context?
- Do you have the experience and capacity to lead a change and transformation process? All NGOs are facing a challenging environment and need to change their ways of working taking into account the localisation agenda, the grand bargain and disintermediation to name a few.
If the answers to the above challenges is yes, then would like to hear from you.
Title: Country Director Somalia
Employment Type: Fixed term (2 years)
Contract Type: Full Time
Salary: £34,000 – £46,000 (subject to experience and qualifications)
Application Deadline: Open ended – We will initiate interviews and the selection process on a rolling basis, with the aim to have this position filled as soon as an appropriate candidate is identified.
About the Role:
The main responsibilities of this role will be to:
- To ensure the country office’s programme strategy is responding to the country’s critical development and humanitarian needs, and is also aligned to organisation’s global strategy, mission and values.
- To enhance Muslim Aid’s reputation and brand through maintaining positive relationships with other stakeholders, including government, donors, UN bodies, other INGOs and local NGOs.
- To seek new funding opportunities through in-country and external relationship building including with bilateral and multilateral development partners, embassies and high-net individuals.
- To ensure that effective and secure budgetary control of the programmes’ finances and expenditures are established and maintained, in line with Muslim Aid’s financial procedures guidelines.
- To ensure that there is an adequate analysis of the risks which could impact on Muslim Aid’s operations in Somalia and to evaluate the risk appetite of the Somalia Country Office.
- To support the internal audit function in the office through the HQ internal auditor.
- To line manage the country team and the work in the country which will include staff, budgets, funding (both institutional and local) and ensure programme delivery in accordance with Muslim Aid policies and procedures.
- To lead the change and transformation process.
To be successful in this role:
- Relevant Masters level qualification or similar academic achievement
- Proven experience working internationally in development and/or humanitarian sector.
- Previous experience working in Somalia.
- Proven experience of programme design, development and implementation.
- Experience of multiple donor grant management and reporting to major donors.
- Experience of networking with key stakeholders particularly for fundraising and advocacy.
- Knowledge of development programme design.
- Proven understanding of financial management.
- Excellent strategic, judgement, planning, co-ordination and prioritisation skills.
- Able to anticipate and manage risks that could threaten the organisations reputation, operational viability and security.
How to apply
How to apply:
To apply please submit your CV to Recruitment@muslimaid.org with the subject title (CD Somalia Application).
Muslim Aid’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children and vulnerable adults in our care/employment. We will do everything possible to ensure that only those who are suitable to work with children and vulnerable people are recruited to work for us. Therefore, this role is subject to a range of vetting checks including a criminal records disclosure, DBS, or in the event that the employee is not a UK resident, a check to its equivalent in the current residing country will be required.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief or age.
Please ensure that you review the Job specification on the following link : https://www.muslimaid.org/vacancies/country-director-somalia/
NOTE: Virtual interviews will take place for this role.