As Country Manager you will manage and represent the country program office, advancing programming and operations objectives and the mission of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your management and representation skills will enable you to advance CRS’ reputation and impact while you proactively manage security and mitigate security risks and liabilities.
Country Program Background
CRS began working in Somalia in 1961 responding with food to assist flood victims, and established its first office there in 1964. In 1994, after the outbreak of civil war, CRS closed its office in Mogadishu. The 2011 Horn of Africa Drought prompted CRS’ return. Since 2011, CRS has implemented a number of large humanitarian projects in multiple sectors with funding from multiple donors, primarily US AID.
Today, CRS continues to respond to the urgent needs of the Somali people through meeting their immediate needs (food and water); providing essential services (health, nutrition and protection); creating and rehabilitating critical infrastructure (latrines and wells); and restoring productive assets and purchasing power to build their resilience and promote long-term, sustainable solutions. The current portfolio of CRS programming in Somalia is implemented thorough several trusted and long-term civil society partners.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
* Manage the design of medium and long-term goals. Lead CRS Somalia to develop and implement a country strategy that contributes to the advancement of the regional and agency strategies. Ensure programs and operations coordinate their objectives in alignment with the strategy.
* Ensure that all projects meet and exceed donor expectations and are designed and implemen ted for maximum impact and reach. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
* Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Manage the development of staffing plans and the recruitment process of staff.
* Establish and develop strategic partnerships with national and international organizations that leverage resources, reputation, and expertise in line with CRS partnership principles. Ensure strong representation to key stakeholders, including partners, international organizations, host government, US government and donors.
* Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans and ensure the updating of such plans. Respond to emergency issues and needs as they arise. Closely supervise or oversee responses to emergencies.
* Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance in operations functions. Provide oversight and analysis regarding monthly expenditures.
* Oversee the pursuit of strategic growth opportunities, prepositioning and capture planning. Identify and pursue opportunities for appropriate expansion and growth of programs, ensuring the sound management of all aspects of the business development cycle.
* Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management overseeing application of the MEAL policy, as well as cross-sectoral and cross-department learning.
* Maintain a healthy and empowering office environment that encourages participation and open communication, and high levels of staff engagement and well-being. Ensure open communications with regional and HQ colleagues.
* Masters degree in International Development, International Relations or a related field.
* Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing high value relief and development programs. Experience in complex development settings preferred.
Required Languages – English
Travel – Approximately 30-50% travel to Nairobi and to Baidoa or other locations in Somalia, as security allows
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
* Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
* Team leadership abilities.
* Strong communications and presentation skills.
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
* Demonstrated experience successfully managing high-value projects from multiple international donors, including USAID; knowledge of relevant donor regulations.
* Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships.
* Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
* Ability to represent the agency at high levels.
* Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Emergency Coordinator, Grants & Compliance Accountant, Administrative Assistant
Key Working Relationships:
*** We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS’ ta lent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
How to apply
Application URL: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=Z2xlbm4uYXVzbXVzLjIyNDA0LjM4MzBAY2F0aG9sa…