TERMS OF REFRENCE
CURRICULUM REVIEW & ROAD MANUAL DEVELOPMENT SOMALIA/SOMALILAND
PROJECT: The TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) project.
CARE Somalia/Somaliland is implementing a skills development project with funding from the European Union to improve the technical skills of the youth in roads and energy service sectors. The overall objective of the project is to promote economic growth through infrastructure development, employment creation and sustainable natural resources management; and the Specific objective is to improve access to markets and social services, improve access to energy services and enhance sustainable use of natural resources through an increased availability of skilled human resources for Somalia/Somaliland’s road and energy sectors.
The TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) project aims to support the Government of Somalia/Somaliland plans to enhance inclusive economic growth and reduce poverty. The project will assist in the development of high-quality skills both for gainful employment and sustainable economic development. To meet labor demands in road infrastructure and energy sectors, the project aims to strengthen the TVET and higher education (HE) to make them of high quality and responsive to the changing market situations in the selected priority sectors of the economy.
Given the increasingly dynamic employment market, the project supports the introduction of a private sector-led and a high-quality competency-based skills development approach facilitated by innovative and integrated internationally benchmarked frameworks, to increase the relevance of the skills training offered and to ensure an optimal absorption of the (new) skilled workforce into the labor market. The project is currently piloting a Competence-based curriculum designed at the onset of the project to deliver TVET training in Road Construction and Renewable Energy, however, the Instructors have expressed the need to harmonize the curricula to better improve the future trainings
This assignment will attribute to realizing Result 1 of the project: Increase equitable access to private sector-led and competency-based skills development opportunities linked to the road infrastructure and energy sector services. In particular, the existing curricula will be reviewed with key sector expertise in the fields of Road Construction and Renewable Energy. This is to harmonize the curricula suitable for future training of road construction and renewable energy courses currently implemented at the four technical institutes in Somalia and Somaliland.
SCOPE OF WORK
The overall scope of the assignment will entail A) review of the existing TVET curricula in all the levels in Road Construction and Renewable Energy B) Development of a Road construction manual as a reference manual in all activities, this assignment will realize the adaptation of a new revised curriculum in the TVET centers. This action will support the sustainability of a more practical CBET Curricula in the Renewable Energy and Road Construction training.
Contributing to a more practical private sector/industry-led Roads and renewable energy skills training and comprehend demand-driven employable skills to relevant vulnerable youth with emphasis on efficient and effective training delivery and post-training employment for sustainable livelihoods and decent work for all.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY:
The main objective of this consultancy is two-fold i.e:
1) review the competency-based curriculum for the Road Construction and Renewable Energy courses currently being used in the TVET Centers in Somalia/Somaliland.
2) Develop a Road Construction Manual for the TVET graduates
Specifically, the lead Consultant shall:
1) Review the competency-based curriculum
· Conduct an extensive literature review and study all the existing curricula in the TVET institutes including the trainer’s guide.
· Review existing related curricula and also from the neighboring countries.
· Work closely with the TVET Instructors to understand the in-depth challenges and gaps of the existing curricula.
· Prepare drafts and final revised curricula.
· Work closely with the Technical Advisor-TVET of the BRIDGES project for technical guidance and support during the curriculum review process.
2) Road Construction Manual Development
· Review existing related documents e.g from UNESCO, ILO and other key TVET sector players in line with road construction trainings deemed relevant.
· Layout the design of the Road Construction Manual
· Work closely with the Roads Authority Engineers and TVET Instructors to understand the in-depth of practical trainings provided during the course of the training at the TVET centers and also the private sector trainers offering practical trainings/ apprenticeships
· Present finalized drafts for reviews and final Road Construction Manual for TVET Institutions as per contract.
· Seek for any relevant information deemed necessary for the design and development of the manual from the project team
The deliverables/outputs of this assignment are:
· An inception report.
· The action will deliver a harmonized revised curricula incorporating best approaches and making appropriate changes or additions to suit the actual training demands.
· A compiled Road Construction Manual
· A Complete Revised Competence-Based Curricula in Road Construction and Renewable Energy
· Report entailing gaps and challenges involved in the existing curricula
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The duration of the assignment will be 10 days presented in the technical proposal including travel days.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CARE
CARE shall monitor and supervise the work and review progress of the work, provide regular technical support and feedback and provide support for engaging stakeholders and constituents as when required. Besides, CARE will provide the necessary technical assistance for the planning and implementation of the said training program. Travels/flights and accommodation shall be the responsibility of CARE.
Payments of the consultants will be in USD dollars and will be paid in 100% after successful completion and on submission of report as per CARE rules and payment conditions that will be stipulated in the Service for Contract.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE OF THE LEAD CONSULTANT
To qualify for this assignment, the consultant must have the following mandatory professional experience and knowledge:
· Advanced university degree in the area of Civil Engineering/Construction Management, Highway Engineering and or Renewable Energy/ Electrical Engineering, or related field is a MUST for at least 2-panel experts including a Lead Consultant
· At least 2 experts for both Roads Construction (1) and Renewable Energy (1) in a single consultancy
· At least seven (7) years of experience in TVET curriculum design and development or technical teacher training experience or 5 years working on road construction and or renewable energy projects and for Road Manual Development; at least seven (5) years of experience in handling trainings/projects in Road Construction industry and or developing manuals for road designs, maintenance and construction.
· Extensive experience in road construction practices, HSE knowledge, road construction procedures and processes required for Road Manual panel expert.
· Evidence of having successfully completed a similar assignments i.e road construction practice linked to road development projects.
· Extensive experience and knowledge in road construction and renewable energy sector.
· Understanding the key issues involved in vocational education and training in the region.
· Experience working internationally including within the Horn of Africa/ ECOWAS/IGAD countries.
· Outstanding communication skills, with excellent command of spoken and written English.
Technical proposal that demonstrates clearly (Understanding of the TOR and the task to be accomplished, Draft work plan) and Financial Proposal with email subject “CURRICULUM REVIEW & ROAD MANUAL DEVELOPEMENT” shall be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 28TH NOVEMBER, 2019 by 5pm Local Time.