Education Officer, Baidoa – Somalia (1 Position)
Baidoa (South West State)
locally hired position
Area of Operation:
South West State of Somalia
Starting in June 2020, one year with the possibility of extension
FCA works to enable people to break the circle of poverty and violence. We are a rights-based actor, a Finnish organization with 70 years of experience, with operations in 15 countries. FCA is Finland’s largest NGO in development cooperation and second largest provider of disaster relief. Our action is guided by international human rights standards and principles. We realize our mission and vision through development cooperation, humanitarian assistance and advocacy work. We contribute to positive change by supporting people in the most vulnerable situations within fragile and disaster-affected areas. We consider three thematic areas as central to sustainable change: the right to peace (R2P), livelihood (R2L) and quality education (R2QE).
In Somalia and Somaliland FCA has been working under a right to peace thematic areas since 2008 including governance and reconciliation projects and later has expanded in quality education (R2QE) thematic area.
Primary purpose of the position:
The Education Officer – under the guidance of Project Manager is responsible for the planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting of FCA implemented education projects. He/she will ensure efficient utilization of project resources for the intended purpose through effective planning and monitoring. He or she will ensure the use of appropriate, cost effective and innovative approaches.
He or she will ensure synergy through collaboration and networking with other stakeholders implementing education programme in his/her area of operation. Education Officer will ensure partnership with relevant partners including ministry of education including district education officers (DEOs), regional education officers (REO), and with Community Education Committees at community level. Education Officer shall ensure linkage among education and other thematic areas at field level. He or she will play key role in representing FCA in relevant networks and forums and engage in advocacy and dialogue with relevant education stakeholders at region and district level.
· Play a pivotal role in coordinating and implementing education and related activities and make sure quality and appropriate documentation is produced, collected and shared timely
· With guidance from PM/education advisor, develop project planning and implementation tools:
· Detailed implementation plans DIPs, Procurement Plans;
· Develop and carry work-plans for education intervention including logistic planning for project supplies/materials, monitoring /training schedules
· Prepare up cash request and requisitions to facilitate project implementation, keeping accurate records for accountability purposes;
· Coordinate community engagement for planning and implementation of accountable project activities:
· Promote awareness of project deliverables for accountability purposes;
· Guide site selection and beneficiary selection processes, promoting gender sensitivity conflict sensitivity and vulnerability sensitivity allocation of resources and child safeguarding as well;
· Coordinate and monitor Education activities and distribution of project supplies, promoting transparency and accountability;
· Develop and monitor weekly action plans for education program activities in coordination with the PM/TS.
· Prepare project monthly progress reports.
· Coordinate baseline and end line assessment.
· Prepare success stories with high quality pictures.
· Ensure adherence to INEE Minimum Standards for Education and SPHERE standards.
· To contribute to the documentation of good practices– case studies, successful programming approaches and lessons learnt
· Contribute to Education debates at district/FMS/country and regional level, when needed, sharing best practices with Baidoa team.
· Work in coordination with FCA’s other core competencies to build synergy and develop cost effective implementation approaches
· Any other task relevant to the position as requested by the Project Manager
· Minimum of 3 years working experience in humanitarian and development aid with teacher training experience.
· Familiarity with interagency education in emergency INEE minimum standards.
· Experience in DRR would be an asset.
· Experience in the child safe guarding guidelines and policies.
· Proven strong knowledge of implementing education in emergency projects.
· Ability to work independently
· High analytical and solution-oriented thinking
· Ability to work in a high-risk security area
· Relevant experience in fragile context and community mobilization
Knowledge of EiE, is a requirement
· Good knowledge of Bay region and Mai dialect is an asset
Proficiency in English (oral and written).
· Strong and proven knowledge in Excel, word and power point is required.
University degree in education, social Science or any other related field