Trócaire is one of Ireland’s top International NGOs, having over 45 years’ of experience in international Development, and has been working in Gedo since 1993. Currently Trócaire implements Health, Nutrition, Protection, WASH and Education Programme activities. Trocaire places great emphasis on empowering local communities and partners so that control and agency lies with those with whom we work.
The programme is now recruiting an Education Project Officer who will work with the Education Coordinator in Gedo to support the implementation of the education component of the programme as per the needs of the community, donors and other stakeholders.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to the Education Coordinator this is a fixed term for one year and is based in Gedo region of Somalia. The position is renewable based on funding and performance.
Safeguarding Children Policy:
The successful applicant will be expected to sign up to and adhere to Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policy.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
· Support day to day oversight of education projects which includes accompanying Community Education Committees, supporting partners’ planning and coordination.
· Support and monitor the activities of the local partners according to the defined proposal and the work plan as well as the project impact
· Work closely with the Education Coordinator and MEAL Coordinator in the collection of necessary data and support enumerators and Trocaire consultants on project baselines, midterm and endline evaluations.
· Report regularly to the Education Coordinator on project activities, identifying progress, problem areas, and potential solutions.
· Identify programme operational needs for education projects for the management to take lead in proposing course of action. Work with other program staff to remedy issues and track individual program actions.
· Support DEOs, CECs and TVET Boards in the planning, implementation and monitoring of their school projects
· Support the Education Coordinator in representation at key education meetings and education cluster meetings in the Gedo region
· Act as a contact point for the Education Coordinator on all education operational and project issues, and ensure that concerns are addressed while adopting to organizations procedures
· Support the Education Coordinator in the supervision of the education projects including monthly reporting of its deliverables providing regular reports against the projects work plans.
· As a part of this position the project officer will take a prominent role in organizing and facilitating capacity building initiatives for Teachers, Community Education Committees (CECs), and Vocational Education Training Boards, including on job training, workshops, exchange visits and formal training courses.
· Train partners to gather lessons learnt, best practice and stories of change across the program.
· Support local CECs in ensuring that local authorities are kept informed of Trócaire supported Programmes.
· Accompany visitors (Trócaire or external) to the project areas and carry out local promotional work as required.
· Perform other duties as required by the line manager that are consistent of the level of this function.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
· Bachelors of education or other related qualification
· Development studies/project management is an added advantage
· At least 2 years of experience in Education Project work
· Experience working with local authorities, communities committees and partners.
· Good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen; flexible and adaptable to work in unstable environments and under pressure with limited support
· Strong writing and excellent communication skills in Somali.
· Good computer skills (Microsoft Office).
· Ability to support and build local capacity.
· Good understanding and experience of Project /Programme management cycle, and participatory appraisal techniques.
· Knowledge and experience of working on livelihoods and/or education programmes is desirable.
· Being a resident of Gedo or being conversant with the local context would be an added advantage
 All offers of employment with Trócaire may be subject to Police clearance.
All new hires are required to complete a Self-Declaration Form and sign up to our Code of Behaviour contained in our Safeguarding Children Policy. For additional information please consult the Human Resources Department in our Head Office.
How to apply
To apply go to https://trocaire.workable.com/