Job Title: Emergency Coordinator/Head of Office, Somalia
Reports to: Country Manager, Horn of Africa
As the Emergency Coordinator in Mogadishu, you will manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the Somalia emergency response and recovery programming, particularly for a large and complex OFDA project, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming that advances Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your knowledge and skills in emergency programming and your management abilities will ensure the delivery of high-quality emergency programming that applies best practices and constantly works towards improving the impact of its benefits to those we serve. You will also serve as the Head of Office in Mogadishu, where 6 national staff are currently based.
Education and Experience
* Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
* Minimum of 5 years of field-based work experience in a program/project management position with an international NGO, with preferably at least 2-3 years working in emergency response programming.
* Strong knowledge of emergency guidelines and standards.
* Demonstrated ability to represent the organization at coordination meetings with donors, local government, UN, and other international NGOs.
* Demonstrated ability to write high-quality emergency proposals and strategy design. Familiarity with policies, procedures, and priorities of USAID, DFID, UN agencies and other donors preferred.
* Experience in managing moderately complex projects preferably with an international NGO.
* Good experience in project grants management, including project design, preferably for grants from multiple public donors, including USAID.
* Experience engaging with and building capacity of partner organizations
* MEAL skills and experience preferred
* Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
* Experience in building and motivating diverse and talented teams.
* Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
* Strong strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions with limited or incomplete information and offer innovative solutions.
* Strong representation and relationship management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Ability to work long hours in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple priorities.
* Good presentation and facilitation skills.
* Ability to function well in a stressful environment, stay focused, and maintain sufficient work life balance with limited options for downtime activity.
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language English Fluency required
Travel Required (include percentage of required travel, if applicable)-Approximately 25% travel to Nairobi and to Baidoa or other locations in Somalia, as security allows; Potential travel to other CRS programs in East Africa to support their emergency programming as time allows
Supervisory: Somalia Senior Project Officer, 2 Project Managers, MEAL Officer, possibly more depending on program growth
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.