Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- The investigation undertaken as part of the road design in Kismayo has revealed frequent flooding of the city due to the urban development activities taken place over the years without making adequate provisions for drainage management. The subsequent drainage investigations undertaken has recommended disposal of storm water from the city area to the ocean. The proposed works involved the construction of 3 outfall pipelines discharging storm water to the sea. Considering the environmental & social impacts likely to be associated with the proposed pipelines constructions & their operations, the project stakeholders have identified the need for an Environmental & Social Impact Assessment (ESIA)
- The Environmental & Social Associates will be members of the ESIA team that includes two Environmental & Social Experts working from outside Somalia. Under the guidance of the Experts, the Environmental & Social Associates will provide local support including data collection, site assessment reports & community consultation input, as further detailed below.
- Report on ESIA related legislative & regulatory framework applicable to Somalia / Kismayo context.
- Identify project stakeholders both at institutional level & the community levels, establish contacts & receive consultation input to the ESIA.
- Liaison of the ESIA activities with the local authorities & the stakeholders including the community representatives.
- Collect environmental & social related data under the guidance of the respective disciplinary experts working in the project & assist with the data analysis & reporting.
- Translate reference documents of Somali language to English & selected project documents prepared in English to Somali language for local reference.
- Carry out other ESIA related tasks as directed by the respective disciplinary experts working in the project.
- All local / site specific input as requested by the respective disciplinary experts working in the project are provided for the successful completion of the ESIA before 31st August 2020.
This consultant will work under the guidance of the experts & are expected to complete the below:
- Report to the respective disciplinary experts on all technical matters.
- Report to the Project Manager on operations & contract related matters.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of Diploma in Environmental & Social Science related areas is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of environmental & / or social assessments & / or development or research related areas of work experience is required.
- Knowledge of Somalian ESIA related legislative & regulatory framework is required.
- Ability to visit the project site for field data collection & community consultation is essential.
- Somalia is essential, Kismayo preferred.
- Excellent Somali language skills & competency in English both spoken & writing are required.
Other relevant information:
- Suitably qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register as a candidate on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: