Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
- Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to help people build better lives & countries achieve sustainable development. Our client’s areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management & human resources.
Working with our client:
- Our client offers short & long term work opportunities in diverse & challenging environments across the globe. They are looking for creative, results focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
- With over 4,000 personnel & approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of our client’s partners spread across 80 countries, their workforce represents a wide range of nationalities & cultures. They promote a balanced, diverse workforce, a strength that helps us better understand & address our partners’ needs & continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives & policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization:
- Our client values its people & recognizes the importance of balancing professional & personal demands.
Background information – Somalia country office:
- Somalia is amid major new political & security developments that will offer a greater possibility for peace & security than the country has seen in over 20 years. The Federal Govt. of Somalia (FGS), established in 2012 & international community have driven a process of rebuilding of functioning govt. institutions & processes through Somalia’s peace building & state building priorities under the Somali Compact (2013 – 2016), based on the Busan “New Deal for Engagement in Fragile States” agreement. The Somalia National Development Plan (2017 – 2019), builds on this foundation laid by the Compact & sets the priorities for national recovery & development in full collaboration with national & regional govt’s. A landmark electoral process in late 2016 & early 2017 resulted in a peaceful transfer of power to a new President & govt., in place since February & March 2017 respectively. The govt. has set out an ambitious agenda for its term (the period to 2021). At the London Somalia Conference in May 2017, a Security Pact was agreed by Somalia & the international community, which will allow for sustainable, long term security based on mutual accountability.
- Our client has had a solid in country presence in Somalia since 1994 implementing a wide range of projects & has contributed to the above development priorities of the country.
Background information – Job specific:
- Facilities Manager (FM) is required to manage, maintain, develop or enhance the following services under the existing MOU with UNSOS: general premises maintenance, cleaning; waste management, vector & vermin control; waste management & reprographic support & internet services. These services are all required to be monitored & maintained 24 / 7 / 365 to ensure the timely delivery & to standard quality services to our client’s operations Somalia Country Office (SOCO).
- Reporting to Head of Support Services the Facilities Manager is to manage a location in the AAIA / UNSOS compound in Mogadishu with a team of up to 11 international personnel, 33 CTG consultants & 15 national personnel, all under the management of our client.
- FM requires having an in depth knowledge of the management & implementation of such services in camps operating within harsh, complex environments & the FM will be responsible for instituting best practices & maintaining these to ensure high quality services for quality control purposes.
- S / He will be interacting on a day to day basis with all International, CTG consultant & national team, comprised of Managers, Team Leaders etc, responsive & reactive to routine & special requests. S / He will ensure that the facility is managed to deliver the service activities concerned, making sure that all activities are managed within the tolerances & to the standards stipulated by our clients Head of Support Services.
- The FM will manage the material & equipment supply, goods ordered for maintenance among others & be required to liaise closely with our clients procurement team & internal security on a day to day basis.
- S / He will be required to monitor all of our clients undertakings, be responsive to our clients need & to be able to adapt & be flexible, to ensure appropriate services are provided within the regulatory envelope of security instructions & our clients policies to be delivered whilst having a comprehensive understanding of the environment in which our client is operating to ensure customer service is second to none.
Summary of functional responsibilities:
- Stakeholder management.
- Facilities management.
- Establish a solid & fluid working relationship at local level with clients, key stakeholders & end users.
- Alert the Head of Support Services on issues that may impact the achievement of the common cost recovery project outcomes,
- Manage daily operations & assess & solve operational needs through the implementation of the operational strategies & procedures established within the common cost recovery plan.
- Implement approved common cost recovery plans within tolerances set by the Head of Support Services.
- Develop & maintain facility maintenance plans & communicate to Head of Support Services any deviations from such plans.
- Manage the attainment of the agreed deliverable’s, taking responsibility for overall progress & use of resources & initiating corrective action where & when necessary.
- Forecasting required resources to achieve required tasks.
- Manage & review product quality & ensure products are accepted.
- With the aim of reducing operating costs while increasing productivity, ensure that our client receives required services per MOU signed with UNSOS, avoid / eliminate any duplication of costs under the responsibility of UNSOS, implement SOP or advise on the development of new SOP’s or their adaption to the local context.
- Manage under the guidance of the Head of Support Services, all related activities connected with the implementation of the required facilities management services in the facilities under his / her responsibility, within the existing signed MOU with UNSOS. These may include any of the following services, but are not limited to the following:
- Facilities maintenance & repair.
- Maintain accurate site plans for buildings.
- Responsible of the access controls a safeguarding office, vehicles & accommodation keys.
- Responsible for the accommodation allocations to personnel & contractors, manage the billing & planning of accommodations.
- Responsible to ensure that all accommodations & equipment (air conditioners, furniture, accommodation appliances, etc.) are in a condition that reduce all potential health & safety risk.
- Produce accurate & up to date asset registers for the facilities.
- Produce & implement, as requested with the approval of the Head of Support Services, short term & / or long term ‘Planned Maintenance Program’ (PMP) including cost estimates.
- Ground maintenance including gardening & landscaping.
- Pest & vermin control.
- Outdoor cleaning.
- Maintenance of mechanical plant & equipment.
- WiFi & communications provision in coordination with the ICT Officer.
- Minor repairs or general handyman services upon request & any other tasks established in the technical agreement.
- Liaise with services providers & monitor (including the review of performance through Key Performance Indicators) the implementation of the contracts of external suppliers for the delivery of the above services &d advise on, & negotiate if required, the improvement of said contracts.
- Review budgets & keep record of payments.
- Follow the established management systems instructions & ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (organizational directives & administrative instructions).
- Provide timely & accurately to the Head of Support Services all the necessary information for the preparation of common services project reports & documentation.
- Ensure that payments to contractors are received on time.
- Regular & constant updates (may be written, or oral), addressing progress, risks & issues, maintaining the risk register up to date.
- This role reports to the Head of Support Services.
- The FM is to manage a location in the AAIA / UNSOS compound in Mogadishu with a team of up to 11 international personnel, 33 CTG consultants & 15 national personnel, all under the management of our client.
- Minimum of 2 year of experience in Africa (essential)
- Advanced University Degree (Masters) in in Project Management, Business Administration & Engineering or related field OR A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree) with an additional 2 years of relevant experience will substitute the requirement for an Advanced Degree OR A Technical / Professional Diploma with an additional 3 years’ experience may be accepted in lieu of the Degree requirement.
- Official Facilities Management certification an advantage.
- PRINCE 2 Foundation certification will be an asset.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant working experience in facilities management is required.
- Experience in managing / leading large teams, preferably in a diverse cultural environment is required.
- Good working knowledge of Gmail & internet or G-suite environment.
- Experience in a post conflict environment is required & experience in Somalia is an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills.
- Flexibility & adaptability to work under pressure & meet specific deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Proven management & leadership skills appropriate to a large & diverse personnel.
- Knowledge of the UN system & familiarity with UN procedures is an advantage.
- The candidate must be fluent in written & spoken English.
Core values & principles:
- Understand & respect UN sustainability principles.
- Look for ways to embed UN sustainability principles in day to day facilities management.
- Seek opportunities to champion gender equality at workplace.
- Understand & respect national ownership & capacity.
- Seek opportunities to recruit qualified local contractors.
- Accountability for results & the use of resources.
- Contribute to innovation & the adaptation of best practice standards of sustainability & quality.
The impact of results:
- The success of the project largely depends upon the FM’s ability to effectively implement contracted services provided to SOCO in the AAIA / UNSOS compound, to deliver the standard of services required for common premises.
- As the maintenance of the camps & facilities will rely upon a number of external suppliers & UNSOS for its successful delivery, s / he is required to manage a range of activities from contractor, vendors to the quality standards required.
- Develops & implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term & externally in order to positively shape the organization.
- Anticipates & perceives the impact & implications of future decisions & activities on other parts of the organization.
- Responds sensitively to differences & encourages others to do the same.
- Upholds organizational & ethical norms.
- Maintains high standards of trustworthiness.
- Role model for diversity & inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit.
- Collaborates & supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs & inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners & always puts the end beneficiary first.
- Builds & maintains strong external relationships & is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self & / or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities & takes the initiative to act on them.
- Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change & flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements.
- Reflects on experiences & modifies own behavior.
- Performance is consistent, even under pressure.
- Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data & courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions.
- Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks.
- Applies innovation & creativity to problem solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise & open manner.
- Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings & needs of others.
- Actively listens & proactively shares knowledge.
- Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion & finding common ground.
- Promote a culture of knowledge & sharing in the office.
- Ability to advocate & suggest policy advice.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning & development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan & applies newly acquired skills.
- Commitment to diversity.
- Conflict management experience or at least awareness.
- Goal oriented & results driven.
Other relevant information:
- To be advised.
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using the below link: