Date of Issue: 7th November 2019 Closing Date: 21st November 2019
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every single day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting young and talented candidates/students in Somalia. The programme will provide selected candidates/students with the opportunity to supplement their academic knowledge with a practical work assignment in a field related to the work of WFP. This will promote better understanding of WFP Somalia’s mandate and programmes. Similarly, the programme will provide WFP with qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in line with WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
WFP Somalia’s activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. The intern will work with the Programme team under the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer and overall supervision of the Area Coordinator.
This position is open to qualified female Somali nationals only and are highly encouraged to apply.
• Assist the Programme team in coordination of beneficiaries’ registration by the Cooperating Partners (CPs);
• Assist the Programme team to enroll beneficiaries in SCOPE;
• Process enrolments of beneficiaries in interventions and cycles creations;
• Follow- up on data transmission to WFP;
• Follow- up on cards printing with ICT and handover to CPs;
• Follow-up CPs top-up and redemption of beneficiaries’ entitlements;
• Facilitate CP staff access to WFP compounds for all SCOPE related matters, and equipment management;
• Provide updates on SCOPE processes from registration to card distribution on a weekly basis;
• Assist in maintaining accurate records and files within the area of work;
• Perform other related duties as required.
Upon completion of the assignment, the intern will have:
• Understanding of international development and humanitarian principles including WFP’s operations, specifically in Somalia
• Obtained skills in planning, coordination and partnering that include multiple internal and external stakeholders
• Gained results-based skills required for international humanitarian and development operations.
Education: The internship programme is open to candidates who meet one of the following criteria:
(i) Enrolled in an undergraduate programme (f.eg. a Bachelor’s degree) or a graduate programme (f.eg. a Master’s degree) at a recognized university, studying in the areas of International Relations, Social Sciences, Agriculture, Nutrition, Economics, Statistics or another related field. Candidates must have completed at least two years of the programme and have attended classes in the past 12 months; OR
(ii) Recent graduate from an undergraduate or graduate programme at a recognized university in the areas of International Relations, Social Sciences, Agriculture, Nutrition, Economics, Statistics or another related field.
Knowledge & Skills: Knowledge (academic or practical) in any of the following areas is desirable: food security, project management, agriculture, nutrition, and monitoring and evaluation. Basic computer skills and use of Microsoft Office packages such as word and excel are essential.
Language: Working knowledge of English and Somali is a requirement.
• Upon selection, a proof of enrolment stating that you are currently enrolled in a course of study and your expected date of graduation and if you have graduated, a certified copy of your degree.
• Interns will receive a monthly stipend from WFP.
• WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, travel to and from the WFP internship location, necessary visas and related costs.
Applicants are required to submit online applications through E-recruitment.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WFP seeks applicants of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
WFP is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The selection of candidates is made on a competitive basis.