Field Officer – Animal welfare project (1 position)
VSF Germany, Ngong’ Road, Piedmont Plaza, Opp. Former KSTC
VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. VSF Germany supports in animal health, livestock-related agriculture, marketing, food safety, drought responses and mitigation, capacity development of communities and governmental institutions, peace and conflict resolution with the ultimate aim of food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in the Republic of South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia. It focuses on Livestock, food security and Livelihoods, Natural Resources Management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency, and Agriculture, marketing, but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities. The regional office is based in Nairobi.
Posting Location and duration
Location: Hargeisa, with travels to project locations as may be required from time to time.
Duration: This position will run 8 months from 1st August 2020 to 31st March 2021, and may be renewed depending on funding availability and performance.
Purpose of the job: To provide technical expertise and support in planning, implementation monitoring, reporting and communication to the Project Manager and the project field teams. The Senior Project Officer will be in charge of the direct supervisor in the implementation of project activities.
Direction: The position holder will be directly accountable to Senior Project Officer and work under the guidance and in close cooperation with the Senior Project Officer and in the collaboration with all field staff. He is directly responsible for community mobilization and actual activity implementation.
Duties & Responsibilities
Works with the Senior Project Officer and by extension Project Manager to gather information and materials used with the community.
· Oversees the implementation of all project activities by beneficiaries in selected areas;
· Mobilize the community in the targeting and selection of project beneficiaries for inputs and services delivery, monitoring, supervision & accountability;
· Identify and respond to urgent animal welfare issues (Specially equines) arising in the local community;
· To promote responsible Donkey ownership in the communities supported by the project and assist in promoting Animal welfare initiatives through mobilization and training;
· To attend meetings on issues regarding animal welfare legislation and policies;
· Prepare and develop weekly, monthly and quarterly plan and submit to his direct supervisor;
· Produce standard and quality activities progress report and share to line manager for further review;
· Create project beneficiaries database and update regularly ;
· document lesson learned and best practices related to project activities and share for line manager;
· Provide information and updates to the Senior Project Officer /Project Manager on the progress of activities in the Field;
· Organize and plan for community sensitization meetings on various project aspects;
· Conduct household Field visits to assess the needs and progress of the activities implementation;
· Collect data for baseline surveys e.g. Beneficiary profiles, Market surveys etc.;
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager;
Minimum qualifications and work experience
· At least a Diploma/ Degree qualification in Animal Science from a recognized institution.
· A good knowledge/understanding of animal welfare issues.
· At least 3 years of working experience in livestock-based emergency response or working with community-based organizations.
· At least 2 years of proven hands-on animal handling experience especially equines.
· At least 3 years of working experience in the capacity building of communities, government staff, learning institution or community-based organization.
· Good knowledge in monitoring and documentation of knowledge management.
· Ability to promote teamwork for effective and efficient output.
Fluency in spoken and written English and Somali (local language )is highly required
How to apply
Application: Interested persons should submit their application and CV to the following Email addresses: email@example.com, and CC to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating on the position, thus; “Field Officer, Somaliland”. The closing date for receiving applications is 22nd July 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. The assessment of the applications received will be on a continuous basis due to the urgency of the recruitment.
This is a National position and Somaliland Citizens are encouraged to apply.
N/B: VSF G does not ask for payment from applicants for recruitment of any position in its organization.