Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Suisse (VSF Suisse), MCK Building, Muthangari Road, Off Gitanga Road, P. O. Box 25656, 00603 Nairobi, Kenya. E mail: Office.Nairobi@vsf-suisse.org
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Suisse (VSF-Suisse), www.vsf-suisse.org is a politically and religiously neutral humanitarian organization focusing on preventing and alleviating suffering, disease and hunger, and contributing to socio-economic development and sustainable environment, in areas where livestock, agriculture and related issues play, or could play an important role in peoples’ livelihoods, food and nutrition security and resilience. VSF-Suisse works both in humanitarian aid and in long-term development in seven countries of West and East Africa.
VSF-Suisse is advertising an exciting position of a Field Officer (Irrigation) in our Somalia Programme. Compensation will be aligned with the VSF-Suisse rates. The role requires an applicant to have the right to work in Somalia, as appropriate, where the respective position is based.
Position: Field Officer (Irrigation)
Location: Gedo Region of Somalia
Sector: Agriculture and Food Security (AFS)
Reporting to: Project Officer
Closing Date: 1st March 2020.
The Field Officer (Irrigation) will be central in the day-to-day implementation of Irrigation sub-sector activities of the project among the agro-pastoralists in Gedo Region- mainly working in Belet Xaawa and Luuq districts. He / she will be required to participate and facilitate the planned Irrigation activities in the targeted villages/sites in a timely and participatory manner. The position requires an articulate and highly skilled individual with exceptional ability and capacity to provide all rounded support to Irrigation farming activities of the Project.
• Conduct community mobilization, sensitization, selection and verification of project beneficiaries using the set-selection criteria
• Prepare work plans and follow up on day-to-day field activities under the Irrigation sub-sector
• Facilitate and supervise Irrigation activities (including the rehabilitation of Irrigation canals)
• Ensure that the project adheres to agreed-upon approaches, social agreements, best practices and all internal policies and procedures.
• Train farmers on the best agronomic practices, post harvest technologies, business skills, operation and maintenance of Irrigation equipment/machinery among others and participate in the distribution of agricultural tools and equipment.
• Provide agricultural extension services to the project beneficiaries to help improve productivity and devise real time solutions to address problems facing Irrigation farmers.
• Ensure that activities are carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues.
• Set up and operationalize Complaints and Response Mechanisms in the targeted communities and participate in solving complaints related to the project.
• Actively participate in project review meetings, baseline surveys, assessments, monitoring activities, learning and evaluations.
• Prepare timely monthly/quarterly reports, monitoring reports, progress reports, success stories as well as document lessons learned and best practices.
• Offer technical support and inputs to other project components in the Agriculture and Food Security sector
• Perform any other duties and responsibilities that will be assigned by the Line Supervisor.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
• A Diploma in Agronomy, Agriculture, Agricultural Engineering, Rural Development or other relevant fields from a reputable Institution. A Bachelors Degree in the same or related field will be an Added Advantage.
• Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
• Minimum of 3 years’ of professional relevant experience (agriculture, food security, livelihoods activities in an agro-pastoral setting) in an NGO is highly preferable.
• Good technical knowledge and practice in Irrigation farming, crop production, Cash Transfer Approaches as well as other cross cutting issues
• Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards
• Ability to work in a multicultural team and strict adherence to rules, regulations and guidelines
• Communication Skills: Excellent writing and verbal skills in English, training, report writing and computer skills
• Person of integrity –honest and good moral standing
• Good interpersonal skills, commitment, motivation and conflict resolution abilities
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application(s) in English. Please add:
• Motivation Letter (maximum one page) stating why you are the right person for this position
• A recent CV of 2 pages maximum
• Scanned copies of your work certificates and relevant academic certificates
• Scanned copy of Passport
• Names of three referees and their contact details.
Send your application by e-mail to Office.Nairobi@vsf-suisse.org by Sunday, 1 March 2020 at 5:00 PM East Africa Time. The application e-mail should indicate on the subject line the Job Title. Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.