Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Suisse (VSF Suisse), MCK Building, Muthangari Road, Off Gitanga Road, P. O. Box 25656, 00603 Nairobi, Kenya. E mail: Office.Nairobi@vsf-suisse.org
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Suisse (VSF-Suisse), www.vsf-suisse.org is a politically and religiously neutral humanitarian organization focusing on preventing and alleviating suffering, disease and hunger, and contributing to socio-economic development and sustainable environment, in areas where livestock, agriculture and related issues play, or could play an important role in peoples’ livelihoods, food and nutrition security and resilience. VSF-Suisse works both in humanitarian aid and in long-term development in seven countries of West and East Africa.
VSF-Suisse is advertising an exciting position of a Field Officer (WASH) in our Somalia Programme. Compensation will be aligned with the VSF-Suisse rates. The role requires an applicant to have the right to work in Somalia, as appropriate, where the respective position is based.
PROFILE: FIELD OFFICER-WASH
Location: Belet Xaawa -Gedo Region Somali
Sector: Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
Reporting To: Water Engineer
Closing Date: 1st March 2020
This position is central to the implementation of the WASH activities at field level in identified villages/ IDP camps in Belet Xaawa district. He / she will be required to participate in the daily implementation of the above component of the WASH project, providing an insight into cultural sensitivity and thoroughness of communication to the beneficiary communities, as well as assisting to see that the activities are implemented in an all-inclusive, timely and participatory manner.
- Create linkages between VSF-Suisse, communities and the project, the local leaders, extension staff and the target communities in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion.
- Formation of water management Committees for the rehabilitated/protected water facilities and water sources and training them on operation and maintenance.
- Participate in collection of useful quality data, success stories and beneficiary lists and submit as required on timely basis.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and timely submit them to the WASH officer.
- Assist water Engineer in supervising construction works to rehabilitate water facilities and report on progress on regular basis.
- Ensure that WASH related construction and rehabilitation works are carried out strictly as per provided technical drawings and BOQs.
- Assist the WATER Engineer / Hydrologist in inspection of shallow wells and water pumps and other water supply systems to ensure they are operational.
- Together with the WASH Officer, perform compliance inspection of new construction which pertains to the settlements water distribution system to determine that all fittings are installed and in accordance with prescribed standards, plans and specifications.
- Assist the WASH Officer to work with the District Water Department and Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated/protected water sources.
- Take part in conducting WASH needs assessment, baseline surveys monitoringof WASH activities.
- Water treatment using chlorine, analysis of FRC at field level and water quality monitoring at household level using pool testers.
- Take lead in WASH NFIs beneficiaries identification, compiling of beneficiary list, verification and distribution of WASH NFIs.
- Uphold VSF-Suisse code of conduct.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. In particular, to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and to ensure that VSF-Suisse’s response is in line with the needs of the beneficiary communities.
- Work in close collaboration with partner agency and the local authorities to ensure that participatory approaches are used throughout the project cycle management.
- Ensure integration of WASH activities with other sectors.
- Coordinate all WASH activities to be implemented by VSF- Suisse in Gedo region
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels. In collaboration with water Engineer, Recruit and train hygiene promoters from the beneficiary communities on how to conduct hygiene messages dissemination at household and communal levels using various ways of hygiene dissemination.
- Work with Community based Hygiene Promoters and local leaders to ensure proper dissemination of information on WASH issues to beneficiaries for improvement.
- Review WASH documentation from the field and ensure compliancy before onward submission to water Engineer.
- Perform any other duty and responsibility that may be assigned by the line supervisor. Qualifications and competencies
- Certificate or diploma in WASH related course from recognized institution. Bachelor’s degree is an added advantage.
- At least two years’ experience in implementing WASH project
- Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards.
- Strong competence in English literacy
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel)
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrate ability to work in hostile and far to reach areas
- Establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Ability and commitment to maintain confidentiality, respect, non-discrimination and safety to all beneficiaries all times
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to work under and handle pressure.
- Ability to conduct TOT on Hygiene, Sanitation will be an added advantage.
Conditions for the position
The position is based in Bullahawa District. However, the holder of the position will be expected to occasionally supervise WASH activities in entire Gedo region whenever necessary.
Expected start date: Preferably Immediately.