DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Finance Team leader, the Finance Officer is responsible for day today financial activities of the area office, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point in terms of the day to day financial activities of the area.
Accounting / Finance
- Create cost and PO Invoices in DRC Dynamics ensuring that all the necessary supporting documents are fully approved and attached in DRC Dynamics.
- Follow up pending invoices in the system and inform budget holders on the status of the invoices.
- Review staff expense reports and process payments for staff claims
- Review and post partner expenses in DRC Dynamics on monthly basis.
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the field offices and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
- Monthly national staff salary allocation in DRC Dynamics ensuring that proper cost allocation is followed across grants.
- Review monthly payroll and ensure payment is done within the same month.
- Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request is prepared, compiled, and forwarded to Finance Specialist.
- Review outstanding advances and follow up with the relevant staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
- Ensure monthly closure of accounts into the Dynamic System.
- Oversees and Support the work of Finance Assistant in Galkayo.
- Train new finance and non-finance staff regarding finance procedures and DRC Dynamics finance module.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop Master Budgets for DDG/DRC area office and ensure the data is accurate.
- Support the Finance Team Leader in monthly BFU/TDL review meeting & monitor actual spending.
- Support the finance team leader on review of donor budget preparation and revision of the same.
- Ensure closing projects are reviewed and clean-up is done before financial reporting
- Support in preparing and updating partner financial reporting.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during review of scanned vouchers.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Support the finance team leader in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG follows the same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Coordinate with Finance Team Leader and HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This includes taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Support the Finance Team Leader in coordinating with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
Education, experience & technical competencies;
- University degree/Diploma in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration
- 3 Years similar position, working experience with UN and international NGOs
- Able to work under minimal supervision and multi-tasker
- Excellent knowledge in Computer especially with workbooks
- Worked on Finance and operation system is an added advantage
- Excellent communication skills, and fluent in spoken English and Somali
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 20th Jul 2020
Duty station: Galkayo
Reporting to: Finance Team Leader
Duration: 5 Months with extension
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
As per DRC salary scale
THE POSITIONS ARE OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 7th Jul 2020 4:30PM.