The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an independent, non-profit organization (NGO), founded on the basis of humanitarian principles, and human rights based approach, to secure the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promoting long term solutions to the problems of forced displacement.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Finance Team Leader, the Finance Officer supports in preparing/reviewing/uploading ERP Dynamic in Finance module, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point between the area office finance staff and Finance Manager. Finance Coordinator also acts as “Technical Focal Points” to area office finance and program staff on Finance aspects
Accounting / Finance
- Reviewing cost and PO Invoice supporting document and creating into the DRC Dynamic
- Following up pending invoice into the system and inform budget holder the status of the invoice
- Review staff expenses report such Travel cost, periderm and Etc
- Booking partner expenses into DRC Dynamic on monthly basis
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the field offices and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
- Monthly National salary allocation in in DRC Dynamic
- Review monthly payroll and allocation for Time sheets.
- Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request, compiled, and forwarded to Finance Manager.
- Review outstanding advance and follow up with the relevant staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
- Participate monthly closing into the Dynamic System
- Oversees and Support the work of Finance Assistant in Mogadishu
- Cooperate and collaborate Area finance coordinator and country finance team
- Train non-finance staff of DRC/DDG regarding finance procedures, and DRC Dynamics finance modules.
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC Somalia offices (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
- Monthly BFU/TDL reviews & monitor actual spending and advice AM/PMs to avoid overspend and plan on underspending.
- Review donor budgets from area operation offices & support AM/PMs and Finance staff on same.
- Support the Country Finance Manager in budget re-alignment
- Support Finance Manager in preparation of Interim/final donor reporting.
- Support to prepare Partner financial reporting.
- Cooperate and collaborate country finance team.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during field visits & during review of scanned vouchers.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Participate in conducting trainings for staff in the field offices and develop their technical skills by ensuring all processes related to organizational policies, donor guidelines and governmental requirements are adhered to.
- Support Finance Manager in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
- Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
- Support the Finance to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
Education & Qualification:
- Diploma/University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or two years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work.
- Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
- Ability to prepare donor budgets will be an advantage.
- Experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas)
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Availability: December, 2019
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reporting to: Finance Team Leader
Duration: 1-year contract with possibility of extension subject to availability of funding and performance.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards. DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo