DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
This role has a country focus and is responsible for providing specialized knowledge and operational know-how on financial matters, and acts as “Technical focal person” to finance and program staff.
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager (FM), Finance Specialist supports in reviewing area office financial activities in DRC Dynamics, review of budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead focal point between the area office finance staff and Finance Manager.
Accounting / Finance
- Review Bank Transfer requests from Field Offices before submission through DRC Dynamics for HQ approval.
- Review and update the delegation scheme and update the bank signatories, as and when required.
- Monitor the liquidity levels of the field offices and ensure that the cash requests are done on time.
- Monthly Expatriate salary allocation in DRC Dynamics.
- Review monthly payroll and share feedback with Finance Manager and CO HR.
- Coordinate with the area finance staff to ensure adequate liquidity request and compiled and forwarded to Finance Manager.
- Review settlement of main accounts and other interim accounts and follow up with Area Office Finance staff to ensure all nominal accounts are cleared within approved time frame.
- In close cooperation with Managers (both area and country) reinforce existing procedures and systems for financial management and control in compliance with guidelines of DRC’s Operations Handbook, internal guidelines and donor requirements
- Liaise with relevant Managers on key financial issues for all programs in the country, including co-funding, financial reporting, key variances and any remedial action
- Collecting cash forecasts from all Area Managers/HoPs and forwarding requesting funds in a timely manner to Finance Manager
Budgeting and Reporting
- Support to Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC Somalia offices (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
- Monthly BFU/TDL reviews & monitor actual spending and advice AM/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending.
- Review donor budgets from area operation offices & support Program and Finance staff on the same.
- Support the Country Finance Manager in budget re-alignment
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors and internal reports to area and Country.
- Preparation of Interim/final donor reporting.
- Support area offices in preparing and reviewing partner financial reporting.
- Maintain a continuous overview of funding levels and pay particular attention to shared support costs, including staff salaries
· Support in roll out of DRC Dynamics including training of new staff and the existing light users.
- Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
- Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents during field visits & during review of scanned vouchers.
- Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
- Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building, provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Participate in conducting trainings for staff in the field offices and develop their technical skills by ensuring all processes related to organizational policies, donor guidelines and governmental requirements are adhered to.
Support Finance Manager in internal and external audit processes by ensuring all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with area staff and country.
Local Tax management
· Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
· Ensure compliance with relevant country statutory and other financial obligations such as tax, levies and statutory returns.
· Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
· Support the Finance to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education, experience & technical competencies
· University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration .
· At least three year’s work experience in field of financial management/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
· Proven experience in managing large budgets
· Proven experience in working with national partners, local/government authorities
· Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
· Working experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN guidelines will be an advantage.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.**
Availability: 3rd May 2020
Duty station: Baidoa/Dolow
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Duration: 8 Months with Possibility of extension
Contract: This position is graded as Band NM – G for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 24 March 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.