Number of positions: Two (2).
Reporting to: Food Security and Livelihoods Program Manager.
Duty Station: Eyl, Somalia.
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated. **
Summary of Position
The fisheries assistants will closely engage with technical supervision of all Fisheries program activities, planning, monitoring and community mobilization at project target villages. They will be working with fisher folks and train them on fishing value chains, and fish preservation processes including fish handling and management.
The Fishery Assistant will;
· Conduct routine supervision and monitoring of the fisher groups performances
· Provide capacity building and technical directions to the fisher groups and train them on fish preservation and handling mechanism.
· Ensure quality implementation of project deliverables.
Will work closely with fisher groups routinely providing capacity building, supervision and technical support.
· Provide technical guidance to fisher groups and advise community groups on project identification and implementation strategies.
· Work closely with the existing government and private sector fishing structures based on project proposal and organizational policies.
· Organize fisher folks into groups that can become fisher group associations in the future, verify and report to program.
· Demonstrate fish drying and processing technology to fisher folks so that fisher groups will have the capacity to demonstrate on their own.
· Conduct and Report all the meetings held between the SP and other FAO implementing partners.
· Mobilization and sensitization of communities at regional, district and village level on project activities.
· Beneficiary selection and registration using ODK forms, FMR and biometric systems.
· Reception and distribution of inputs; and provide feedback of the distribution system with reports, share with program manager.
· Collection of beneficiary GPS enabled photographs; and other requirements based on the project deliverables.
· Preparation and submission of input distribution work plan; and implementation of the activities as of the plan.
· Coordinate and provide extension service in liaison with food security Program manager.
· Receipt, storage and distribution of Fisheries inputs to the targeted beneficiary household from the project villages i.e. Boat packages and fishing gears, Community Processing packages and Household processing Packages and cooking kits.
· Training of beneficiaries in fishing and onboard fish handling practices, use of emergency fishing kits as well as training in fish processing, handling and hygiene practices.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
· Diploma in fisheries and marine science/or environment related field + 3 years of professional experience or Bachelor of marine science +2 years of direct implementation of fisheries extension and working with subsistence fisher folks group.
Required Skills & Competencies.
· Knowledge of Fisheries management, Aquaculture or equivalent education and experience.
· Have knowledge on fisheries resource management, fish breeding and production.
· Have the ability to train fisher groups/communities on fish preservation mechanisms.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and be initiative
· Good supervisory and organizational skills, good interpersonal skills
· Knowledge of written and spoken English, Understanding of the local language is necessary.
· Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word and other books.
How to apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 10th August 2020 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Fisheries Assistant -Eyl.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.