The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
NEAR is currently hosted by Adeso, an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. Adeso and NEAR both aspire to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: Influencing policy change and enacting systemic change through innovative solutions focused and led by local and national actors.
NEAR will set-up and launch a locally-rooted grant-making organization in Somalia – in the short term to combat the spread of COVID-19, and in the medium and longer term to address issues and priorities set by communities. The grant-making organization will incorporate community philanthropy, Islamic principles and participatory grant-making processes. Part of the mandate of this pilot grant-making entity is that it builds domestic resources to better address the challenges or improve the quality of life in their communities.
The Fundraising Advisor – Consultant will be responsible for raising funds and engaging in innovative partnerships for the Somalia grant-making organization, with the aim to become fully independent of NEAR and sustainable by the end of the project period. The position will work closely with an Operations Consultant (who will be responsible for setting up and managing the day-to-day operations, administration, and marketing of the grant-making organization), and will report to NEAR’s Executive Director.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Develop a detailed work plan for the implementation of the pilot project in Somalia, using the approved project proposal as a framework.
· Engage in a design thinking process to conceptualize the start-up, implementation, and sustainability of a Somalia grant-making organization.
· Create and put into motion a robust fundraising plan / strategy, that has specific milestones and targets and a sustainability strategy.
· Consult with relevant government, private sector, and other stakeholders – either locally or globally – with an aim toward raising capital for grant-making.
· Establish partnerships, particularly with Somali financial institutions and existing local funding mechanisms and secure agreements on potential partnerships and contributions to the grant-making organization.
· Provide a political economy analysis that can be utilized for the development of the risk matrix and risk mitigation plan.
· Participate in required reporting and Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning, a requested.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Advanced degree in International Development, Finance, Business, or its equivalent in relevant field
· Significant experience in successfully raising capital for start-ups or new initiatives.
· Knowledge of and connections to relevant stakeholders, specifically in Somalia.
· Experience in engaging with political actors, financial actors, donors, and the private sector.
· Experience working in challenging environments and on complex issues under pressure.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Fluency in English and Somali.