Job title: VAC-8667 Government Liaison Consultant
Apply by: 30-Oct-2022
Start date: 01-Nov-2022
Duration: 1 month
Number of vacancies: 1
Qualification: Master’s in a relevant field such as Business Administration, Public Administration, International Development, Engineering, Political Science, Communications or International Relations is required or a combination of a Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 3 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above. ( essential).
Sector experience: Minimum of 5 year/s of demonstrable relevant Governance experience ( essential).
Geographical experience: Minimum of 5 year/s of experience in Somalia ( essential).
Languages: Fluent in English ( essential). Fluent in Somali ( essential).
CTG staff and support humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world, providing a rapid and cost-effective service for development and humanitarian missions. With past performance in 17 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, we have placed more than 20,000 staff all over the world since operations began in 2006.
CTG recruits, deploys and manages the right people with the right skills to implement humanitarian and development projects, from cleaners to obstetricians, and mechanics to infection specialists, we’re skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa. Key to successful project delivery is the ability to mobilise at speed; CTG can source and deploy anyone, anywhere, in less than 2 weeks and have done so in 48 hours on a number of occasions.
Through our efficient and agile HR, logistical and operational services, CTG saves multilateral organisations time and money. We handle all our clients’ HR related issues, so they are free to focus on their core services.
Overview of position
- The newly elected Federal Government (Govt.) of Somalia has set out an ambitious agenda for its term, including ridding the country of Al Shabab (AS). In the latter part of 2022, a large scale offensive against AS led by the Somali National Army (SNA) has made significant territorial gains, liberating key parts of southern & central Somalia. The Somali govt. is committed to maintaining control of the newly liberated areas & embarking into an ambitious program of reconstruction & return of state services.
- To capitalize on this momentum, the govt. is organizing a national conference on the fight against AS (November 2022) to bring together federal & member state actors to discuss, deliberate & decide on common strategy & priorities & to develop a roadmap on the stabilization & governance modalities of liberated areas. Subsequently, the Federal Republic of Somalia will share with the international partners the roadmap & the plan it has developed.
Our client is seeking a Mogadishu based short term consultant to support the development & deepening of the partnership with the Somali govt., among others, with regards to opportunities that arise from the liberation of areas formerly held by AS. The consultant will be expected to carry out the following responsibilities: Representation and liaising with govt.:
- Represent our client in consultations, meetings & other events hosted by the govt. in the wake of the successful offensive & territorial gains, including the national conference on the fight against AS (14th – 19th November 2022), with a view of positioning our client as a strategic partner for the reconstruction of newly liberated areas.
- Build a network of key partners at the federal & member state level, keeping abreast of evolving discussions on the practical outcomes & key decisions taken at the national conference on the fight against AS.
Development & follow up on partnership opportunities:
- Examine risks & opportunities presented by the govt’s. plans & propose appropriate responses to ensure strategic positioning & build on strengthening existing relationships with the govt.
- Provide advice & feedback to our clients Somalia Country Director & Partnership Specialist on the arising opportunities & initiate necessary arrangements to pursue collaborations.
- Contribute to the identification, design, formulation & negotiation of new projects deriving from the national conference & other relevant meetings & events.
Stakeholder management & negotiation support:
- Facilitate introductions with relevant govt. authorities through high level meetings & / or visits to strengthen our clients strategic positioning.
- Coordinate & collaborate with the Country Director & Partnerships Specialist to ensure aligned & coherent interactions with partners & clear messaging about our clients service lines & mission
- Support discussions & negotiations with relevant govt. entities on emerging opportunities.
Concept note & proposal development:
- Contribute to the drafting of concept notes & project document briefs for discussion with partners.
- Summary report focussing on the outcomes of the consultancy highlighting the avenues for our clients future partnership & providing list of key relevant govt. contacts that our client can follow up with relevant stakeholders.
Impact of results:
- Positioning of our client as a strategic partner in the govt’s. efforts to stabilise & reconstruct newly liberated areas.
- Initiation of discussions about potential project deriving from the national conference.
- Concept notes prepared & disseminated among relevant govt. authorities.
This role reports to the Partnership specialist and the Country Director.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant field such as Business Administration, Public Administration, International Development, Engineering, Political Science, Communications or International Relations is required or a combination of a Bachelor’s Degree with an additional 3 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- At least 5 years of experience in either an international intergovernmental organization, government, UN agency, or international NGO is required.
- Demonstrated experience of building partnerships with the Somali govt. is required.
- Fluency in Somali & English is required.
- Ability to plan, organize, manage & implement work assignments, juggle competing demands & work under pressure of frequent & tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment & decision making skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to establish & maintain effective partnerships & working relations with people in a multi cultural, multi ethnic environment with sensitivity & respect for diversity.
- Proven ability to recognize potential market opportunities & challenges to support our clients business development in Somalia / East Africa.
- Capacity for persuasive communication, consensus building & obtaining commitments from clients / partners & our clients personnel.
This role has no team management resposnibility.
Qualified female candidates are encaouraged to apply for this role.
Disclaimer: At no stage of the recruitment process will CTG ask candidates for a fee. This includes during the application stage, interview, assessment and training.