Position Title : Head of Resources Management
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 04 June 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- External female candidates:
- Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Djibouti; Fiji; Gabon; Grenada; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro;
Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint
Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe;
Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the leading humanitarian as well as developmental actors in Somalia with extensive experience and technical expertise in assisting vulnerable migrants, mobile populations and affected host communities through developmental sectors strengthening as well as preparedness and responses to various humanitarian emergencies in highly complex and challenging environments.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission in Somalia, and in close collaboration with the IOM Nairobi and Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya, relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and the Administrative Centres in Manila and Panama, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for managing the budgetary, financial, procurement, logistics, human resources, and administrative functions of the Mission and its sub-offices.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor and oversee the financial management for all IOM Somalia activities and sub offices,including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability; undertake financial analysis of all projects and programmes.
- Coordinate the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations andestablished procedures.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cashand prevent fraud and development and implementation of relevant control systems/mechanisms.
- Supervise management of the treasury by forecasting cash flows for all IOM Somalia fieldoffices according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Prepare annual budget for the Mission, oversee budget control process and analyzevariances between budget and actual expenditures, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projectsconsistent with IOM’s projectization criteria.
- Produce Instructions and procedures to complement or to adapt the general Instructions ofIOM, taking into consideration the volume of activities, staffing and constraints and specific needs of the Mission, namely in the areas of general administration, finance and human resources.
- Assist in managing the human resources function for the IOM Somalia mission and makerecommendations on recruitment, retention, promotion, and separation of staff. Apply internal HR policies, rules and regulations and make recommendations for resolving difficult or sensitive cases, in coordination with the Chief of Mission’s office.
- Supervise and train local and international staff on IOM’s administrative/financial policies andprocedures; and evaluate monthly financial reports for the IOM Somalia Mission and take action to resolve anomalies and unusual trends.
- Supervise the procurement and logistic services, including contracts with suppliers of goodsand services and related administration authorities; oversee the management of the fleet of vehicles and maintenance of buildings as well as the functioning of all support services at the Mission.
- Liaise with relevant units at HQs, relevant Administrative Centres as well as relevantexternal counterparts regarding the financial and administrative activities of Mission and report regularly on the financial situation of the Mission and provide other information as necessary.
- Ensure Project Managers comply with general instructions of IOM and relevant permanentinstructions for the mission, namely in the areas of general administration, finance and human resources.
- Coordinate the security of the facilities and personnel, training of security staff andcoordination with the UN security cells; ensure that all reasonable measures are taken regarding security of the office premises and equipment.
- Support and offer guidance to other units (programmes and sub- offices) on matters related to IOM administrative Issues, local institutions and regulations and human resources problems with a view to Increasing their effectiveness.
- Participate in IOM Somalia senior management team in the development andImplementation of short- and long-term management objectives and goals.
- Liaise with programme managers regarding current and future levels of funding or activities.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
• Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA),Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage
• Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting; good knowledge of humanresources management;
• Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge ofspreadsheet and data analysis;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with internationalinstitutions.
• Knowledge of financial rules and regulations;
• Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);• Ability to supervise and direct staff.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Somali is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential. • Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 04 June 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 22.05.2020 to 04.06.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2020 97 Head of Resources Management (P4) Mogadishu, Somalia (56444860) Released
Posting: Posting NC56444861 (56444861) Released