Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security, livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The Positions and responsibilities:
AAH Somalia is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Health and Nutrition Manager based in Bakool- Somalia.
The Health and Nutrition program manager is responsible for implementing and supervising the Health and Nutrition program in Bakool region, in adherence with ACF’s and national protocols/guidelines, and in collaboration with local partners. S/he reports to the Nutrition Specialist.
The panel of activities Health and Nutrition program include:
· Essential Package of Health Services (EPHS).
· Health Systems Strengthening
· Community based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) approach
· Assessments and surveillance interventions (nutrition surveys using ENA for SMART, coverage surveys, sentinel site, LQAS etc.)
· Capacity building of local partners.
Mission 1: Manage and supervise activities in the framework of health and nutrition projects.
· Liaising with other program sectors to analyze health and nutrition needs in Bakool region.
· Promoting and supervising activities related to health care practice, organize child play activities, and support groups.
· Promoting and supervising high quality care for clients of the centre through innovative techniques.
· Monitor the data reports and make recommendations on improvements on the system of data collection concerning nutrition and health programmes in the region as a basis for the evaluation and continuation of the programme.
· Monitoring the budget and targets achieved with reference to the project proposal, and making any necessary adjustments in consultation with the Health and Nutrition coordination team.
· Contributing to building on good practice, experience, and assessments through monthly feedback reports, communication tracking, monthly newsletters and information sharing etc.
· Monitoring the consumption of drugs in the pharmacies, and ensure 25% of buffer stock for project(s) supplies, and alert critical supplies shortages to coordination team.
· Supportive supervision to all health facilities, using standard checklists and in liaison with MoH.
· Through coordination with MoH and UNICEF ensures adequate cold chain (EPI) supplies and therapeutic supplies for nutrition programmes.
· Review all the nutrition and health reporting tools and standardise all tools as per protocol.
· Ensure that procurement requests for the needs identified in the stabilization centres and health facilities are submitted and delivered on a quarterly basis and put systems in place to monitor and control consumption.
· Contribute to design of new interventions through preparation of new projects (narrative proposal, budget, project procurement plan) in consultation with field, coordination team and formulating it with other areas of technical expertise with a view to developing shared and integrated approaches.
· Lead staff capacity building of programme staff, MOH and local partners on Health and Nutrition technical topics.
Mission 2: Coordination and communication
· Representing Action Against Hunger at regional Health and Nutrition forums ie. Relevant clusters meetings and meeting with MOH.
· Identifying partners and other agencies in the (gap analysis of who is doing what where), Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries and partners.
· Developing a framework for communication with local representatives (regular meetings, identification of key local actors and collaboration with them) in order to facilitate harmonious and productive relations.
· Consolidating and building on experience to ensure the long-term maintenance of activities and the sharing of goo practice.
· Participate in coordination meetings at field level with the staff, regional cluster and MoH.
· Organize regular meetings with other sectors within AAH and other agencies in the area and plan for joint activities.
· Organize weekly meetings and updates with the field bases.
Mission 3: Data collection, analysis and monitoring.
· Prepare routine reports giving a clear and exhaustive update of activities carried out in line with project proposal targets.
· Ensure reporting indicators are relevant to the programme.
· Compile a monthly summary of indicators for his/her programme (APR etc.), produce an analysis and prepare internal reports for the coordination team.
· Collect statistical data and narrative and contextual reports from the AAH operational districts in Bakool region to help adjust budgets and program activities to meet donor requirements and AAH strategy.
· Follow-up of all the data/reports provided by the health facility and teams in the field and provide technical support to improve on quality of reports.
· Ensure timely submission of all the reports in the field according to the stipulated deadlines.
· Monitor trends and update the coordination team, regional cluster and MoH and field staff on areas of concern.
Qualifications/Skills & Experience:
· Degree in Medicine, Nursing, public Health or related health fields.
· Minimum professional experience of 3 years In humanitarian health and nutrition field.
· Humanitarian experience in medical and nutrition programs inSomalia(EPHS,CMAM,BEMoNC,ICCM
· Excellent knowledge of working with governmental, UN and NGO Health/Medical systems and structures.
· Good analytical capacity.
· Conversant Health Information Management Systems Data (DHIS).
· Competence in training and team management.
· Computer skills: Word, Excel, outlook, PowerPoint and EPI info.
· Excellent communication skills.
· Previous experience in EPHS-Integrated Management of Child Illness (IMCI), Infant Young Child Feeding (IYCF), Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition (IMAM), Basic emergency obstretic and newborn care (BEMoNC) is desirable.
· Fluent in English and Somali (both oral and written) is compulsory.
· Experience and ability to design, manage and forecast budgets.
· Working experience in analytical software (SPSS, EPiInfo, ENA)
· Working experience in the design, implementation and analysis of coverage surveys (SQUEAC/SLEAC), KAP surveys and/or rapid nutrition assessments and SMART surveys.
· Excellent report writing skills and solid working experience in proposal development
· Demonstrate team spirit
· Knowledge and adherence to Humanitarian Code of Conduct.
· Decision Making: Gathers relevant information before making decisions and consults line managers before taking action.
· Leadership: Develops opportunities for the organization and sector and looks for future trends and issues to meet the challenges.