Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 8 countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $75 million in programs, and approximately 2000 staff based in in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
Summary of Position
The program manager is responsible for Overseeing implementation of basic health and nutrition packages in Bakool by ensuring compliance with WHO, MOH, Health and nutrition clusters guidelines and policies in each program component. He/She will directly line manage field officers in Bakool region, coordinate with the ministry of health, and cluster at district and regional level.
The health and nutrition manager’s purpose, engagement and delivery is:
As a programe manager, the staff will implement health and nutrition program as per Action against Hunger standards as well as aligning programming to essential package for health services (EPHS) package for Somalia. He/she will provide technical support to Ministry of health in the region in health system strengthening and Develop opportunities for the organization and the sector and monitor trends and issues to be addressed to meet the challenges in the region.
· Representing nutritional- health issues at regional programmatic level, through Somalia cluster meetings and meetings with MoH.
· Identifying partners and other agencies in the area (gap analysis of who is doing what where), Introduce the program to the local authorities, community representatives, beneficiaries and partners.
· Developing a framework for communication with local representatives (regular meetings, identification of key local actors and collaboration with them) in order to facilitate harmonious and productive relations
· Participate in coordination meetings at field level with the staff, regional cluster and MoH.
· Organize regular meetings with other sectors within AAH and other agencies in the area and plan for joint activities.
· Organize weekly meetings and updates with the field bases.
· Consolidating and building on experience to ensure the long term maintenance of activities and the spread of good practice.
· Ensures timely reporting both internally and externally.
· Ensures quality programmes and assessments are implemented at field level.
Essential job duties.
· Liaising with other program sectors to analyze health and nutrition needs in Bakool region
· Promoting and supervising activities related to health care practice, organize child play activities, and support groups within the nutrition and health centers.
· Promoting and supervising high quality care for clients of the center through innovative techniques.
· Monitor the data reports and make recommendations on improvements on the system of data collection concerning nutrition and health programmes in the region as a basis for the evaluation and continuation of the programme.
· Monitoring the budget and targets achieved with reference to the project proposal, and making any necessary adjustments in consultation with the coordination teams
· Contributing to building on good practice, experience, and assessments through monthly feedback reports, communication tracking, monthly newsletters and information sharing etc.
· Monitoring the consumption of drugs in the pharmacies, and ensure 25% of buffer stock for project(s) supplies, and alert critical supplies shortages to coordination team.
· Supportive supervision to all health facilities, using standard checklists and in liaison with MoH.
· Through coordination with MoH and UNICEF ensures adequate cold chain (EPI) supplies and therapeutic supplies for nutrition programmes.
· Review all the nutrition and medical reporting tools and standardize all tools as per protocol.
· Ensure that procurement requests for the needs identified in the stabilization centers and MCHs are submitted and delivered on a quarterly basis and put systems in place to monitor and control consumption.
· Preparation of new projects (narrative proposal, budget, project procurement plan) in consultation with Field, coordination team and formulating it with other areas of technical expertise with a view to developing shared and integrated approaches.
· Prepare routine reports giving a clear and exhaustive update of activities carried out in line with project proposal targets.
· Ensure reporting indicators are relevant to the programme.
· Compile a weekly/monthly summary of indicators for his/her programme (APR etc.), produce an analysis and prepare internal reports for the coordination team.
· Collect statistical data and narrative reports from the four districts to help adjust budgets and program activities to meet donor requirements and AAH strategy.
· Follow-up of all the data/reports provided by the health facility and teams in the field and provide technical support to improve on quality of reports.
· Ensure timely submission of all the reports in the field according to the stipulated deadlines.
· Monitor trends in the region and update the coordination team, cluster and MoH and field staff on areas of concern.
Direct supervision of Health and nutrition officers in Bakool.
Gender Equality Commitments
· Foster an environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
· Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
· Respect beneficiaries women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
· Value and respect all cultures.
Supports in preparation and management of programme budget for Bakool bases ( Hudur, Wajid, Elbarde, Yeed).
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames Under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as to infectious diseases.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
· Degree in Medicine, Nursing, public Health or related health fields.
· Minimum professional experience of 4 years in humanitarian health and nutrition field.
Required Skills & Competencies.
· Humanitarian experience in medical and nutrition programs in Somalia (EPHS, CMAM, BEmONC, ICCM.
· Excellent knowledge of working with MoH, UN and NGO Health/Medical systems and structures.
· Good analytical capacity.
· Conversant with Health Information Management Systems Data (DHIS).
· Competence in training and team management.
· Computer skills: Word, Excel, outlook, PowerPoint and EPI info.
· Fluent in English and Somali (both oral and written) is compulsory.
· Experience and ability to design, manage and forecast budgets.
· Working experience in the design, implementation and analysis of coverage surveys (SQUEAC/SLEAC), KAP surveys and/or rapid nutrition assessments and SMART surveys
· Excellent report writing skills and solid working experience in proposal development
· Knowledge and adherence to Humanitarian Code of Conduct.
How to apply
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 23 Jun 2020 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. Health and Nutrition Manager -Bakool.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Action Against Hunger USA
Years of experience
Food and NutritionHealth
ShareShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterPost this on LinkedIn