Trócaire is one of Ireland’s leading International NGOs, having over 47 years’ of experience in international development and humanitarian work. Trócaire has been working in Gedo since 1993 and currently implements an integrated Health, Nutrition and Protection programme as well as education and emergency programmes designed to address the most urgent needs of the Gedo population.
Trocaire has recently received funding to revive health services in Burdhubo, Gedo after a 9-year physical absence. The Health and Nutrition Officer (HNO), to be based in Burdhubo, will lead in the implementation of health and nutrition services, under the direction of the Programme Coordinator. S/he will ensure that the health and nutrition services at hospital and Outreach level are of a high standard as per Trocaire values and history in Somalia. S/he will work alongside the District Health Board in Burdhubo and other Trocaire staff, delivering essential services and ensuring that lifesaving services are enhanced and maintain Trocaire’s high standards.
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits.
Reporting to Area Manager or his/her designee, this is a fixed term for one year and based in Burdhubo, Gedo region of Somalia.
Safeguarding Children Policy:
Trócaire is committed to Safeguarding Programme Participants from Exploitation and Abuse and has specific policies on this commitment (including a Global Code of Conduct) which outlines the expected behaviour and the responsibility of all staff, consultants and other organisational representatives. Any candidate offered a job with Trócaire will be expected to sign Trócaire’s Safeguarding Policies and Global Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
· Plan and organise health and nutrition activities within the Trocaire’s Burdhubo Health project (i.e. Primary health centre and outreach)
· Ensure that all nursing administrative procedures and documents (individual patient cards and registration book, discharge forms, transfer forms, etc.) and existing data management tools are used correctly.
· Ensure universal precautions and infection prevention guidelines are followed in service provision and monitor adherence to hygiene procedures for materials (sterilisation, waste disposal), rooms and equipment in general.
- Together with the WASH Officer ensure proper communication, coordination and harmonization of tools with the different stakeholders involved in Health, Nutrition and WASH activities
- Significantly contribute to development of regular donor draft reports;
- Participate in documentation of best practices, case studies and lessons learnt.
- Work together with MOH and other partners involved in delivery of nutrition services in the district, and conduct joint monthly Support Supervision visits
- Oversee and coordinate the implementation of IYCF activities at the health facility and through Mother-to-Mother Support Groups;
- Work closely with the Trocaire, Donors, UNICEF and WFP(where applicable) contact staff to ensure that the health facility has adequate supplies of medical and therapeutic commodities at all times;
- Ensure that for the health centre and outreach have the necessary drugs, vaccines, equipment, and other supplies are ordered on time, available, used rationally, recorded in up to date registers and that there are no wastages
- Ensure that supplies pipeline is established and consistency in timely delivery of supplies is maintained.
- Will attend DHMT meetings and actively promote standards of service delivery, public health promotion and advocate for community support and participation in health promotion activities.
- Coordinate the referrals of the obstetric cases.
- Once in a while accompany outreach team to visit OTP sites in their District and use a standard checklist to ensure that under-five children are assessed, advised, managed and appropriately referred according to malnutrition management protocols
Reporting and Coordination
- Review, authorize and keep accurate records of all requisitions, duty rosters and applications for leave.
- Participate in coordination of health and nutrition surveys ( KAP and coverage surveys)to assesses the Health and Nutrition situation of the target population
- Ensure that all HMIS statistical reports are accurate and submitted on a weekly/Monthly basis.
- Evaluation of services through monitoring morbidity and mortality rates through monthly statistical reports.
- Keep the Medical officer informed of major issues at the health centre
- Support the Zonal Coordinator in the compilation of monthly programme data for submission to the donors.
Person Specification – Essential Requirements
· Professional qualification in Nursing (BSN)
· At least one-year experience working in Health and nutrition interventions
· Registered with the relevant body
· Medical education background
· Minimum two years’ experience in working in health programmes in hardship environments preferably with an international NGO.
· Nursing and Nutrition experience in a hospital setting.
· Excellent mentoring and accompaniment skills
· Leadership and good interpersonal skills including the ability to listen, to mentor and to negotiate for best results
· Ability to work under pressure.
· Strong writing and communication skills in English and Somali.
· Good computer skills (Microsoft Office).
· Passion for nursing, nutrition.
· Ability to work to a high standard in a complex environment and to motivate MoH/DHB members and staff to achieve
· S/he will be mature, lead by example and work to the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and integrity.
· Ability to work with minimum supervision
· Flexible and willing to work additional hours to ensure that the required results are delivered.
· High level of reliability, objectivity, and honesty
· Willingness to work in a rural Somalia environment at unsocial hours and in remote conditions.
· Resident of Garbaharey or Burdhubo would be an added advantage.
 All new hires are required to complete a Self-Declaration Form and sign up to our Code of Behaviour contained in our Safeguarding Children Policy. For additional information please consult the Human Resources Department in our Head Office.
How to apply
To apply, please interested candidates should visit and apply through https://trocaire.workable.com/