The HSSE Specialist will be responsible for assisting UNOPS Somalia Country Office to adopt and make use of the UNOPS Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) and the Health, Safety, Social and Environment (HSSE) system.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The HSSE Specialist will report to the Head of Programme and ensures full coordination with the Project Managers, Construction Engineers, Site Engineers and other project team members. In general, the HSSE Specialist’s role is to ensure that people and the environment are not harmed as a result of the work of UNOPS by ensuring compliance with relevant occupational health and safety, social and environmental regulations, procedures, guidelines and specifications. He/she is expected to provide advice on measures needed to eliminate HSSE hazards and reduce negative Environmental and Social impacts while increasing positive impacts for UNOPS operations throughout the project life cycle.
Specific duties and Responsibilities
The HSSE Specialist will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Prepare and/or update health, safety, social and environmental management plans, review them on a regular basis and keep them up to date at all times.
- Advise and instruct project staff, contractors, consultants and other stakeholders on various safety, health, social and environmental related matters related to project implementation.
- Support the Head of Programme in raising awareness on health and safety issues among project staff, consultants, contractors and other stakeholders and within UNOPS in general, working closely with the UNOPS project managers.
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures on HSSE.
- Initiate, organize and conduct HSSE training and workshops for UNOPS project team, contractors, consultants and other stakeholders.
- Inspect worksites and the work of personnel on a regular basis to identify issues or non-conformity, and enforce necessary actions where unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy are detected.
- Oversee installations, maintenance and disposal of substances, plant and equipment etc. to ensure they are done in conformity with applicable regulations and industry best practice.
- Record and investigate incidents (including near misses) to determine the cause and to propose improvements to processes in the future.
- Prepare reports on incidents (including near misses) and compile statistical information to present to the Head of Programme on HSSE matters.
- Ensure a safe workplace environment is maintained at all times without risk to the health and safety of everyone including workers, UNOPS personnel, other stakeholders and the general public.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure the contractor meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including statutory training and reporting.
- Ensure that HSSE inspections, risk assessments, working procedures are managed, and contractors and employees are aware of their responsibilities in relation to health and safety issues.
- Address UNOPS operations on waste management, biodiversity, and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Ensure that stakeholder consultation, human rights, labour conditions, cultural heritage, and social inclusion of all sectors of society are addressed as required.
- Develop HSSE policies, systems, procedures and guidelines where needed and as appropriate
- Ensure full and accurate HSSE training records are documented.
- Establish a full programme of documented HSSE inspections, audits and checks.
- Establish and conduct a structured programme of health & safety training (including a well-developed induction program) for project personnel, contractors, consultants and other stakeholders.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work legislation and communicate relevant changes to the stakeholders.
- Provide regular reports to the Head of Programme on relevant health and safety activities.
- Participate in regular site meetings to report on relevant HSSE matters and to provide the necessary advice.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Head of Programme.
Impact of results
The effective and successful performance of the HSSE Specialist in the areas of SOCO-HSSE activities will contribute considerably to the strengthening of existing and future programming and consequently reinforces the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice for sustainable development and project services.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Environmental Management, Health and Safety Management, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Social development or other relevant discipline is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Management, Health and Safety Management, Engineering, Natural Sciences, Social development or other relevant disciplines with a combination of two (2) additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- Internationally recognized professional certification in occupational health and safety, such as NEBOSH Diploma (or an equivalent) with additional three (3) years of relevant experience may also be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Additional qualification in Environmental studies or other social safeguards such as gender equality, child protection, disability inclusiveness will be an advantage.
B. Work Experience
- A minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in HSSE required.
- A proven track record with at least 3 years’ experience in the delivery of HSSE management systems (preferably certified) in construction, manufacturing, mining or similar production environments is an asset.
- Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages is an asset.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations will be an advantage.
- Relevant experience working in developing countries is an asset.
- Experience with third-party certification audits for health & safety and environment management is an asset.
C. Language Requirements
- Fluency in written and spoken English Language is required.
How to apply
The applicant/s are required to use the below vacancy link to submit their application/s.