DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
DRC/DDG Somalia program is seeking an Intern to work with the Country HR and Administration department. The intern will be responsible for assisting the HR & Admin Manager (with close coordination with Country HR & Admin Coordinator) with specific tasks contributing to specific projects as assigned. This opportunity will help the intern gain valuable experience and skills in HR and Admin, while being supported by the team.
The intern will be working within the DRC HR & Admin policies and procedures.
· Contribute to the development/maintenance of HR information systems including maintaining HR & Admin records (electronic and otherwise)
· Track progress on specific HR & Admin tasks
· Prepare Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents for various forums (as required)
· Proofread HR documents where needed.
· Responsible for making meeting and travel arrangements; liaising with area HR personnel accordingly
· Follow up pre-employment processes and provide support as needed
· Prepares, post new positions on various websites, track processing of payments to the media
· Sort incoming letters and logs them into appropriate tracking spreadsheets
· Complete and mail out regret letters
· Coordinate candidate interviews, physicals, and testing
· Send background checks and save results when they are returned
· Properly handle staff requests through responsiveness, follow-up, and escalation to the relevant personnel
· Ensure memos from HR & Admin department are announced and distributed in a timely manner.
· Develop Country HR & Admin filing system according to the DRC/DDG filing checklist on constant basis
· Assist in photocopying and scanning as required
· Collaborate with Country HR team and DRC Program Support Officer in organizing seminars, meetings and other events at location.
· Assist with taking minutes as required.
· Update, compile the local staff contact list & Institutional physical address list on monthly basis.
· Track and make records of expat staffs Tax payments in close coordination with Area HR teams and finance teams.
· Track and Report expats Visa/Work permits expiring dates to the HR/Admin Manager.
· Track and record monthly HR meeting minutes and make follow ups of action points where necessary.
· Provide Admin/HR support to offices across the country where requested and there is gaps.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Experience, education and technical competencies
· Post-graduate degree in HRM, Business Management, or a related field, etc
· Interest and aptitude to work in Human Resources, or non-profit management/administrative fields;
· Attention to detail, ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously;
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and internet applications (email)
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills.
· Good team player
· Openly share new ideas and information
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: 1st January 2020
Duty station: Hargeisa
Reporting to: HR/Admin Manager- Somalia/Land
Duration: 6 months with possibility of 3 months extension.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework. For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 24rd Dec, 2019. If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport