This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within Somalia. The role contributes to the development of country Human Resources strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides Human Resources support and technical guidance to the country operations, while overseeing the country Human Resources activities across the portfolio.
The human resources manager will be take lead in; Lead and manage Human Resources functions for DRC Somalia; Provide overall advice, coordination and management to the Human Resources team at the country office and technical Human Resources support to the field offices; Ensure efficient support to the program in accordance with existing DRC policies and procedures; Contribute to the overall strategy; Share strategic Human Resources inputs with the Senior Management Team for informed decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
Human Resources Management
- Lead and manage the Human Resources department, including people planning, performance, well-being and development functions.
- Provide technical support, advice and capacity build the Human Resources team.
- Advise and assist managers in Human Resources related issues and concerns
Recruitment, development and people planning
- Drive and support emergency scale up recruitment and selection activities ensuring compliance with recruitment process.
- Work with senior management team and senior staff on new staff retention strategies and initiatives.
- Ensure proper onboarding process.
- Ensure oversight and consistency in position titles and grades, across all field locations.
- Support staff development activities including promoting the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Develop/maintain local processes for staff development making use of the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Assist managers to identify, recommend and approve Learning & Development initiatives for their employees through DRC’s Learning Catalogue.
- Performance, well-being and compensations & benefits
- Proactively respond to and manage performance counselling, employee grievances and disciplinary issues as required, with a focus on building manager competency and ensuring that documentation is kept.
- Lead the performance management process.
- Act as an impartial mediator in disciplinary procedures and ensure it is administered in an equitable and fair manner and meets all legal and labor regulations and requirements.
- Lead people well-being and office recreational space initiatives.
- Define and review salary structure in partnership with the Senior Management team and coordinate compensation review process and compensation adjustments.
Human Resources Policies and Support
- Maintain and update Staff Human Resources Handbooks as necessary.
- Proactively pursue continuous process improvement in Human Resources related practices in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of output/delivery.
- Develop and update the Human Resources policies as necessary.
- Work closely with HQ to share information and provide support as required.
Human Resources Administration
- Ensure oversight of relevant lists (e.g. leave) in coordination with managers and field sites.
- Monitor contract end dates and proactively liaise with managers regarding extension or end of contract.
- Coordinate the exit process.
- Ensure oversight and management of work permits.
- Ensure oversight of internal and international travel and necessary insurance.
- Ensure timely updating and renewal of organization registration certificates.
Compliance with Country labour laws
- Ensure compliance with the Somalia/Somaliland labour laws.
- Liaise with the legal advisors on all issues related to labour law, to make sure DRC Somalia is working in compliance with the labour laws.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & termination, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 5 years working experience in HR with at least 3 years in a senior HR management role within an NGO.
- Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills, excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
- Experience in developing Human Resources strategies and policies and driving implementation
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills with ability to engage with all levels of staff in a cross-cultural environment with ability to establish effective working relations at all levels – especially with the national employees.
- Ability to live and work in a complex, challenging and fast paced environment.
- Good facilitation skills and ability to deliver induction briefing and training.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Prior experience working in a humanitarian context, preferable.
- Extensive knowledge on local labor law.
- Full professional proficiency in English and Somali
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Contract length: (12) months contract. Renewable with subject to performance and funding.
- Start date: 1 October, 2022
- Duty station: Mogadishu, Somalia with travel to DRC field sites
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment Nationals. This position will be placed at Management (F) band.
All Applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: September 11th 2022
How to apply
Applicants must send a cover letter (max 1 page) and an updated CV (max 4 pages) in English. Cover letter should outline your personal motivation for applying and your key qualifications for the position.
Apply online on our page Current Vacancies at www.drc.ngo Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: September 11th 2022