Independent Monitoring Consultants
(Risk Management Unit)
Somali Nationals based in Kenya and Somalia only
The Risk Management Unit (RMU) is an internal department committed to establishing a transparent monitoring and advisory system. This is to support different tiers of management for effective and efficient implementation of interventions undertaken by the organization. Additionally, we are focused on timely collection of refined information for relevant decision making both at program and policy level to further improve the accountability of all ICRC interventions and processes. The suggested monitoring system is based on the processes of constant learning from our interventions implemented both directly and indirectly in Somalia past, present and future.
Reporting to the RMU Officer on current and post project implementations in Somalia, or reporting on specific incidents, the consultant(s) will be responsible for performing ongoing monitoring, facilitating regular evidence-based reporting, and conducting a summative evaluation of projects and risk assessments. The consultants must have knowledge and practical experience with the application of humanitarian standards and programming based upon the fundamental principles of neutrality, independence, impartiality and humanitarian action. The consultant must ensure that best practices and field experiences are documented and shared with the RMU. The consultant will travel to attend project activities and liaise with local field staff inside Somalia and management in Nairobi for reporting.
Successful candidates will be included in the RMU’s consultant roster and matched with upcoming short term field assignments of usually 2-3 weeks duration. The independent position reports to the RMU and Senior RMU Officer in Nairobi.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· During assignments, the consultant maintains regular contact with RMU department by email and telephone to update on progress of their respective projects and provide strategic advice and technical support as needed
· Visit field staff and field offices periodically to assess progress on their respective projects and provide strategic advice and technical support as needed
· Conduct periodic risk assessments in Somalia and
· Adequately assess project impact and report on results, as needed and/or identified on Terms of Reference
· Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, or related field; Master’s degree strongly preferred
· Minimum 4 – 8 years of experience in designing, overseeing, and implementing project, M&E experience or combination of education, training and experience
· Experience with qualitative and quantitative M&E data collection and analysis methods, including tracking outcome indicators and conducting project evaluations
· Experience in compliance, accountability, risk management, compliance, due diligence checks and/or auditing is strongly preferred
· Strong facilitation/presentation/conflict management skills
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to forge strong cross-cultural relationships and build trust demonstrated through previous intercultural experience
· Capacity to travel and work independently in remote and volatile regions
· Previous experience in monitoring work inside Somalia
· Very good knowledge of Somalia context and diverse networks with local communities and authorities, private and public sector, professional bodies, NGOs and academia
· Must have a strong ability to communicate effectively in Somali and English languages, both verbally and in writing
If you wish to apply please send your complete application file to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25thOctober 2019, 1700 hours (local time). The complete application file to include: cover letter, updated CV, a copy of your passport document, 3 contactable referees, 3 samples of your written work and expected *consultancy fee per day for short term consultancies. Incomplete applications will not be considered.* Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interview. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.