Overview of position
The clients (DDR) unit is seeking to recruit an experienced Industrial Tailoring Instructor to provide full-time instruction to female beneficiaries in Baidoa. This role is twofold: 1) to kick start a menstrual hygiene management initiative involving teaching beneficiaries to make reusable sanitary pads and basic menstrual hygiene management practices and 2) to provide industrial tailoring training (leather work, canvas, etc.).This position is jointly managed by the South West State government and the client, with dual reporting requirements.
This is a full-time position as per Somali Labour Laws based in Baidoa. The specific duties and responsibilities of the role include:
Industrial Tailoring Training
- Design and deliver a curriculum in the fabrication of custom items to include (but not limited to): travel bags, tote bags, crossbody bags, clutches/pouches, toiletry bags, wallets, laptop cases.
- Create, update and maintain training materials, manuals, handouts, and practice exercises for efficient and effective delivery of the skills.
- Develop hands on activities to help students learn mobile repair through both one-on-one and group engagement, adapting resources to ensure all students are able to make progress.
- Provide a stimulating learning environment and provide additional assistance to students with particular learning needs and abilities; instruct in a manner that develops students’ confidence and their abilities; integrate a variety of teaching strategies and curriculum content
- Provide access to information resources through efficient and well guided systems for organizing, retrieving and circulating resources and provide assistance to students in the effective use of these systems.
Sanitary Pad and Menstrual Hygiene Management Training
- Deliver a curriculum on reusable sanitary pads
- Deliver a curriculum on menstrual hygiene management
- Maintain standardized student assessments and record keeping system for student progress and attendance; assess, monitor, record and report on the learning needs, progress and achievements of students.
- Work with social workers to ensure that student case files are maintained properly and student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals;
- Establish rapport/trust with students;
- Give explanations, reasonable and appropriate assignments, and directions clearly;
- Organize the classroom to contribute to the learning process;
- Perform other duties related to the DDR program as assigned by supervisor.
This contract receives day-to-day and week-to-week oversight from the administrative manager (Administrative Assistant) with support from technical staff (Livelihood Team Leader, Livelihood Project Officer, Education Coordinator) and other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored and evaluated by the client and the government partner. The client will undertake contracting obligations and remuneration in close collaboration with South West State Ministry of Internal Security.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticism.
• Client Orientation – maintains high customer service standards at all times.
• Performance Management – identifies ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Professionalism – displays mastery of the profession and conducts oneself in a professional manner at all times.
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment
- 2+ year’s experience of direct tailoring/seamstress experience (experience with industrial tailoring machines preferred)
- Experience in teaching learners with diverse needs
- Experience in Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) or health promotion
Knowledge and Understanding:
- Experience as a sewing machine operator is essential
- Practical and theoretical understanding of effective teaching and learning strategies
- Previous experience working with youth at risk, women, and or the return and reintegration at risk groups a considerable advantage.
- This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates. Female candidates preferred.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply
Interested candidates please apply through below link: