Overview of position
In response to increasing defections from non-state militant groups in Somalia, the Federal Government of Somalia (FGoS) and UN partners embarked on a process to develop the “National Programme on the Treatment and Handling of Disengaged Combatants” (National Programme). The National Programme maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low-risk disengaged combatants and women associated with Al Shabab (WAAS) through transition centers in Kismayo and Baidoa. The transition centers offer support to equip beneficiaries with the skills to socially and economically reintegrate into society. This support includes primary education, civic education, religious counseling, life skills, business, financial literacy, and vocational training.
The client, Disarmament, Demobilization, and Reintegration (DDR) unit is seeking to recruit an experienced Life Skills and Financial Literacy Trainer to support beneficiaries in achieving livelihood goals. The position involves:
- Counseling beneficiaries regarding educational, vocational, and career goals,
- Facilitating life skills training to teach beneficiaries both soft (e.g. conflict resolution, emotion management, leadership) and hard skills (e.g. resume writing, interviewing, job searching) to facilitate employment, and
- Facilitating financial literacy training to teach beneficiaries basic financial concepts
- Facilitating community outreach for arts-based social cohesion activities
The position will work closely with social workers and other instructors in the center to develop individualized livelihood plans for beneficiaries. Overall contract performance management will be done under the supervision of the Centre Manager with technical oversight from the Livelihoods Team Leader.
This is a full-time position based in Baidoa. The specific tasks include:
- Help beneficiaries identify personal strengths and skills based on educational background, employment history, and career goals;
- Provide beneficiaries with information and strategies for excelling in the workplace and dealing with job dissatisfaction;
- Identify individual barriers to employment and assess the need for further training;
- Assist beneficiaries with job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing resumes, and preparing for job interviews;
Life Skills Training/Social Cohesion
- Conduct life skills training to teach psychosocial skills such as decision-making, conflict resolution, and emotional management, among others;
- Conduct community outreach to facilitate arts-based social cohesion activities building upon the lessons learned in the life skills curriculum; this will include travel to communities and facilitation of activities with community members
- Develop and provide classroom teaching to implement a financial literacy curriculum to teach beneficiaries with low literacy how to manage personal finances responsibly and obtain financial self-sufficiency;
- Motivate students to take control of their financial well-being;
- Develop and implement strategies to support and foster financial literacy in students.
- Create, update, and maintain training materials, manuals, handouts, practice exercises, and administrative documentation;
- Maintain standardized student assessments and record-keeping system for student progress and attendance;
- Work with social workers to ensure that student case files are appropriately maintained and student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals;
- Participate in needs and interest assessments and regularly monitor beneficiaries’ well-being and needs;
- Establish rapport/trust with beneficiaries;
- Integrate a variety of teaching strategies and curriculum content;
- Give explanations, reasonable and appropriate assignments, and directions clearly;
- Organize the classroom to contribute to the learning process;
- Perform other duties related to the DDR program as assigned by the supervisor.
Overall contract performance management will be done under the supervision of the Centre Manager with technical oversight from the Livelihoods Team Leader.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all clients staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity:respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency:maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism:demonstrates the ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Level 1
- Teamwork:develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results:produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge:continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability:takes ownership of achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for their own actions and delegated work.
- Communication:encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Management abilities: the ability to manage work, team, and stakeholders in a professional manner that furthers teamwork, effectiveness, and efficiency.
Have the ability to manage work, team, and stakeholders in a professional manner that furthers teamwork, effectiveness, and efficiency
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.