Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- In response to increasing defections from non state militant groups in Somalia, the Federal Govt. of Somalia (FGoS) & UN partners embarked on a process to develop the “National Program on the Treatment & Handling of Disengaged Combatants” (National Program). The National Program maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low risk disengaged combatants & women associated with Al Shabab (WAAS) through transition centres in Kismayo & Baidoa. The transition centres offer support to equip beneficiaries with the skills to socially & economically reintegrate into society. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling & life skills, business, financial literacy & vocational training.
The International Organisation for Migration (IOM), Disarmament, Demobilisation & Reintegration (DDR) unit is seeking to recruit an experienced Life Skills & Financial Literacy Trainer to support beneficiaries in achieving livelihood goals. The position involves:
- Counselling beneficiaries regarding educational, vocational & career goals.
- Facilitating life skills training to teach beneficiaries both soft (e.g. conflict resolution, emotion management, leadership) & hard skills (e.g. resume writing, interviewing, job searching) to facilitate employment.
- Facilitating financial literacy training to teach beneficiaries basic financial concepts. The position will work closely with Social Workers & other Instructors in the centre to develop individualised livelihood plans for beneficiaries. Overall contract performance management will be done under the supervision of the Centre Manager with technical oversight from the Youth Livelihoods Project Officer.
This is a full time position based in Kismayo. The specific tasks include:
- Help beneficiaries identify personal strengths & skills based on educational background, employment history & career goals.
- Provide beneficiaries with information & strategies for excelling in the workplace & dealing with job dissatisfaction.
- Identify individual barriers to employment & assess need for further training.
- Assist beneficiaries with job readiness skills, job search strategies, writing resumes & preparing for job interviews.
Life skills training:
- Conduct life skills training to teach psycho social skills such as decision making, conflict resolution & emotions management, among others.
- Develop & provide classroom teaching to implement a financial literacy curriculum to teach beneficiaries low literacy how to manage personal finances responsibly & obtain financial self sufficiency.
- Motivate students to take control of their financial well being.
- Develop & implement strategies to support & foster financial literacy to students.
- Create, update & maintain training materials, manuals, handouts, practice exercises & administrative documentation.
- Maintain standardised student assessments & record keeping system for student progress & attendance.
- Work with Social Workers to ensure that student case files are maintained properly & student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals.
- Participate in needs & interest assessments & regularly monitor beneficiaries’ well being & needs.
- Establish rapport / trust with beneficiaries.
- Integrate a variety of teaching strategies & curriculum content.
- Give explanations, reasonable, appropriate assignments & directions clearly.
- Organise the classroom to contribute to the learning process.
- Perform other duties related to the DDR program as assigned by supervisor.
- This role will be under the overall supervision of the Centre Manager & under the direct / with technical supervision of the Youth Livelihoods Project Officer.
- This role does not have any team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Associate or University Degree preferred.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience teaching adolescents or adults OR 2 years providing psycho social support services to vulnerable populations (e.g. child protection, gender based violence, adolescents / youth).
- Knowledge of financial literacy, budgeting / debt reduction, saving, problem solving & intervention strategies.
- Experience managing confidential information & managing attendance.
- Prior experience working with vulnerable populations.
- Computer literate (MS Office Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Prior experience in UN or NGO preferred.
- Fluent in Somali (required) & English (desirable).
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for action & manages constructive criticisms.
- Client orientation: Works effectively well with client & stakeholders.
- Continuous learning: Promotes continuous learning for self & others.
- Communication: Listens & communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
- Creativity & initiative: Actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services.
- Leadership & negotiation: Develops effective partnerships with internal & external stakeholders.
- Performance management: Identify ways & implement actions to improve performance of self & others.
- Planning & organising: Plans work, anticipates risks & sets goals within area of responsibility.
- Professionalism: Displays mastery of subject matter.
- Teamwork: Contributes to a collegial team environment.
- Technological awareness: Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions.
Other relevant information:
- This role has been advertised on 6.2.2020, candidates interested in applying for this role need to register as a candidate on CTG website & apply for the role on or before 23.2.2020.
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this role.