Maritime Assistant / Translator
Duty Station: Mogadishu
Post category: Assistant Level
Group classification: 2
The Maritime Assistant/Translator will report to the Strategic Maritime Adviser/Chief of Maritime Strategic Advisory and Maritime Coordination Unit.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
· To assist the Maritime Strategic Advisory and Maritime Coordination Unit in their daily work;
· To provide general secretarial and administrative support to the Operations Department and perform general office duties;
· To draft and distribute invitations for internal briefings and meetings;
· To take minutes at internal briefings and meetings;
· To support guest and event management at the Mission Headquarters (MHQ);
· To perform interpretation for the international staff at meetings and to translate documents (English to Somali and vice versa);
· To draft correspondence related to the unit’s activity and provide follow-up;
· To ensure timely delivery of correspondence related to the unit’s actions;
· To keep lists of names and contacts of Maritime Strategic Advisory and Maritime Coordination Unit interlocutors;
· To prepare talking points for the Maritime Strategic Advisory and Maritime Coordination Unit ahead of meetings with Somali interlocutors;
· To prepare and attend meetings, conferences and other events, to write meeting reports;
· To maintain the highest level of confidentiality when dealing with assigned tasks and responsibilities, as well as with all EUCS documents and information;
· To perform any other related duties or tasks, as instructed by the Line Manager or designated alternate.
Essential Qualification and Experience:
· Successful completion of secondary school attested by a diploma;
· After having fulfilled the education requirements, a minimum of 3 years of professional experience, in the same field of work.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Has a strong sense of confidentiality and discretion;
· Strong organizational skills that reflect an ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks in an energetic environment with multiple priorities;
· Ability to work effectively under pressure, in difficult circumstances, as well as ability to communicate with personnel at all operational and strategic levels;
· Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
· Exemplary writing and editing skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, and the Internet;
· Excellent communication and analytical skills in both written and spoken English and Somali language;
· Teamwork oriented.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
· A professional qualification in Administration, Human Resources, or equivalent academic or professional training would be an asset;
· Previous work experience related to maritime security or in administration would be an asset;
· Previous work experience with an international organisation would be an asset;
· Works methodically, accurately and with attention to details as well as to tight deadlines;
· Is used to work on a multitude of activities at the same time and with limited supervision;
· Has a strong sense of confidentiality and discretion in dealing with strategic sensitivities, staff-related matters and financial issues;
· Willingness to work long irregular hours and still deal helpfully and courteously with all contacts;
· Must be able to express ideas and concepts clearly and concisely;
· Mandatory requirement to pass security clearances and medical checks.
Application form and instructions available at: https://www.eucap-som.eu/eucap-jobs/