Overview of position
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is an implementing partner for the Federal Government of Somalia’s (FGoS) National Programme for the Treatment and Handling of Disengaged Combatants. The National Programme maintains the objective of establishing a comprehensive process that allows for low-risk disengaged combatants and women associated with Al Shabab to social and economically reintegrate into society through transition centres in Kismayo and Baidoa. This support includes the provision of basic education, civic education, religious counselling, and life skills, business, financial literacy and vocational training.
The IOM Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) unit is seeking skilled mason and plumber to work as an experienced Masonry/ Plumbing Instructor providing full-time instruction to male beneficiaries in Kismayo. This position is jointly managed by the Jubaland government and IOM, with dual reporting requirements.
This contract receives day-to-day and week-to-week oversight from the administrative manager with support from technical staff (Education Coordinator/Livelihood officer) and other staff. Overall contract performance management is jointly monitored and evaluated by IOM and the government partner. IOM will undertake contracting obligations and remuneration in close collaboration with Jubaland Ministry of Internal Security
This is a full-time position as per Somali Labour Laws based in Kismayo. The specific duties and responsibilities of the role include preparing lesson materials, teaching theory and practical teaching skills.
Masonry – teaching beneficiaries how to:
· Operate hand tools such as hammers, picks, rakes, shovels and power tools such as jackhammers, torches, skill saws, pipe cutters, concrete mixers, water pumps, etc.
· Use chop/chain saws, lay pipes, assist in basic carpentry, concrete, and piling
· Maintain tools and workspaces
· Cut, shape, and dress materials
· Lift, carry, and place prepared blocks
· Mix cement and mortar
· Restore old and worn masonry
· Read and follow technical drawings of structures
Plumbing – teach beneficiaries:
· Knowledge of plumbing repairs, maintenance, and installation techniques
· Knowledge of plumbing codes
· How to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams, schematics, and written reference materials.
· How to perform mathematical calculations.
· The ability to diagnose and resolve problems.
· How to assemble, install, maintain, and pressure test all kind of pipes.
· Understand drainage, sprinkler, and gas systems according to specifications and plumbing codes.
· Determine sources of plumbing malfunctions and complete repairs as indicated or according to work orders.
· Install and repair pipes, fittings, valves, fixtures, and plumbing system equipment, including sinks, water softeners, etc.
· Select material and hardware and make time and materials estimates.
General – instructor is expected to:
· Inspect jobs upon completion and ensure areas are clean after the class practical.
· Maintain standardized student assessments and record keeping system for student progress and attendance; assess, monitor, record and report on the learning needs, progress and achievements of students.
· Articulate in lecturing and be able to deliver well researched lectures.
· Must be able to teach adults with low literacy rate.
· The ability to integrate a variety of teaching strategies and curriculum content.
· Work with center staff to ensure that student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals of graduation.
· Give explanations, reasonable and appropriate assignments, and directions clearly in teaching masonry and plumbing vocational skills.
· Identify skill gaps for training to tackle current and future problem solving.
Education Coordinator/ Livelihood Officer
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: